Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you give the quilts right away, or keep them for a while to look at?? >
  • Do you give the quilts right away, or keep them for a while to look at??

• Do you give the quilts right away, or keep them for a while to look at??

Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 AM

Yes handquilted the funnest large quilt for my daughter and her family, but can visit it whenever I want to, haha.
    Old 01-24-2011, 05:26 AM

My quilts start with the person I'm making it for.
    This helps me choose the colors, fabrics as well as the pattern.
    By the time I finish the quilt it has become this person.
    After finishing the quilt I mail it right away unless it is a birthday gift or a gift for a new baby,which mailing is sometimes delayed.
    Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
    I give them away as soon as they are completed after taking a photo of it. If I don't give them away ASAP, I would be tempted to keep them.
    ditto!
    Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 AM

I can't wait to give my quilts away, I almost don't get a chance to take a picture. Since I've joined this board I've tried to take pics of all of them now.
    Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 AM

I like your quilt. It is an attractive quilt. I like to give mine quilts away. Sometimes I get sick of them while I am working on them and am ready to give them away for sure. I have had one quilt I messed up the seam lines and I could not give it away. I kept it and use it on my bed. The pieces weren't cut right and I forced them together then tried to trim the blocks up and in the end the seam lines didn't match.
    I try to give the quilt to someone who I think will appreciate it and not use it for a dog bed. I make my quilts to use. I have regretted giving away my first queen size quilt. I made it for my bed but it was too big for me to handle every day so I gave it to a family member and I wish I had it back. What would I do with it? It would just sit around in a closet so better to give it away.
    Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm with you on this one. If I make one special for someone......I get it off as soon as I finish. But if I just make one because I liked the pattern, and went through my stash for the fabrics, I may keep it, look at it and then when the time is right, I give it to someone......I love sharing! This is what I do, so I share it. But I have said, no one has ever given me a QUILT!!!!! But hey, this is what I get to do, so I enjoy it and want others to as well.......

Originally Posted by annyroony2
    If I make one for someone special, then I give it to him/her when I finish. BUT if I just make a quilt with noone in mind, then I keep it, feel it, look at it and enjoy. My daughter says my quilts are like children, I have to keep them for awhile before I can let them go.......
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have never kept a quilt yet. I am on my list tho. after the other daughters' get theirs. sigh
    Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Always! Unless I have a specific person to give to right away, I do keep them for a while. But usually someone buys them or I find a nice home for them via gift.....But I always want to keep them, until a need shows up!
    Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 AM

I know what you mean. The last quilt I finished was for my youngest DGD, and it was several months in the making. I was very pleased with the result, and would have liked to keep it around for a while to admire, but since it was part of her Christmas, I took it to her.
    Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM

I have 8 kids and love to quilt so when I finish a quilt I put it away until I have 8 and then I give them to the kids. I usually pick which one to give to which child (they are no longer "children" with the youngest one being 47 years old). I do make baby quilts for all the grandchldren and great-grands but I give them away right away. I also make blue jean/flannel shirt quilts for all the newly wed grandchildren and these too, of course, are given almost immediately.