Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have a nice sewing table? >
  • Do you have a nice sewing table?

• Do you have a nice sewing table?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 AM

I have a Koala cabinet that I purchase years ago that has a manual lift that raises with a push. I use this for my Bernina 150QE and my 200 when not embroidering. Has a side extension for when I use the embroidery machine. This being said I have a brand new 830 and it is hugh. Have it on an oak desk but would love to have a special cabinet for it.

mltquilt
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM

I sew on on old mahogony dining room table that I picked up for $20 at a resale shop. It comes with 4 leafs. Was cheap due to a big scratch in the top.
    I have seen people take a door and cut a hole in it for the machine...you could probably lay the door on top of your table.
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM

that is a good idea....you can get countertops,or remnants or seconds cheaper. But got to shop for someone to do cutting. IKEA has cheap tables and legs. I'll be thinkng of this myself...
    Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I have just ordered a custom counter top (from a kitchen supply company) for a suprisingly low price - about $100 for a 25 x 58. They will cut the template for the size of my machine and my friend will build the "platform" underneath to put the machine level with the countertop and add 4x4 legs, which I will paint. That rounded edge on the front of the table is what I'm most looking forward to! And it will be exactly the length my room can handle! I'm doing the happy dance, even before I get it!
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 AM

Search in the tute section and you will see how some have made their own table for alot less. I have seen the mechanical lifts for $150-$200 on the internet. Unfortunately I am not handy enough so mine sit on top of a piece of kitchen counter laminate which rests on 2 filing cabinets. Someday ...
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM

wow really? do you like it? I've had it for 5 years and if I get a sewing table I'll still use it for cutting. It's a great table! I just wish it had a hole for the machine.
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 AM

I don't know what brand I have. I got it from Craigslist last summer for about $100 and have been very happy with it. I do need to get an appropriate insert cut for it as the one that came with it doesn't work on my Bernina, but until I get around to that, I've got a slider taped down at the back of the machine so that blocks don't disappear into the space underneath.

Someday I'd like to have one with a lift that drops the machine below the cabinet, but for now this one is great.

Pictures of my sewing corner are here:

http://quiltingcorgis.blogspot.com/2...my-sewing.html

Cheers, K
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Katy
    I have the sew EZ table and it is quite nice. I also have two sewing tables in my sewing room. Most of these would not have been mine if I had to purchase but I inherited them from my wonderful quilty girlfriend when she went to see Jesus several years ago. The Sew EZ is so portable and you can use different inserts for different machines. It is great. I would never have purchased a Koala Cabinet myself but it came with Lynda's beloved Babylock Ellegante. It is a very nice piece of furniture and the hydrolic part is quite nice. I no longer ever put it away however.
    wow lucky you! i wish i had a guilty friend who would give me her stuff!!!!
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by makakehau
    As a matter of fact, I just bought a new Samsonite 6 foot
    folding plastic table tonight. Total investment? $54.00. Probably not
    nice by a lot of peoples standards, but it is the nicest I have ever had and it's a tremendous upgrade from crawling around in the
    floor. Guess it's all relative, right?
    :-)
    Lori
    hey that's better then what I've got! I would say that's a good one!
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM

I have a long folding table. It is fine for now. I also have a couple machines in their own cabinets. I wish I had the space to open them all up at once and then run my chair to whichever one I wanted to work on LOL...I know Dream ON!!!
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 AM

I am looking for table for my singer feather weight 221 would love to have the one where it fits in the hole on table and they do have some on the internet but cost too much for my budget my machine is very small and light have only had a short time now have on dinning room table but would really like one to sit it on does any one have any ideas for this thanks