Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have one of these? >
  • Do you have one of these?

• Do you have one of these?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 AM

I also have back problems and considered this chair. I actually went to a quilt shop in Nevada and tried it out and was disappointed. It really was not comfortable for me. Even though they make them for different heights (I am very short) it still was not comfortable enough for me to pay that much for it. My LQS bought some relatively inexpensive chairs and they were so comfortable, even for an all day class, that I asked my husband for one for Christmas and love it (Price 99.00). If you will PM me I will fine the ordering information if you are interested. (Free shipping.) Good luck with your back problems.
    Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 AM

In the past I developed a bad case of sciatic (sp)nerve in my left leg. After PT and other treatments, I discovered my"office chair" was the culprit. The plastic base for the seat cushioning had a sharp edge all around to hold the foam cushion and you could feel it through the cushion and upholstery. It was pressing on my leg every time I sat at the computer or sewing machine. So check if the cushion does cover and "cushion" the framework of the seat. If you can get an adjustable one for seat height, then you can raise and lower and thus relief your body. I find raising my seat to the highest level so my arms are level with or above the table height helps me sit up straight and relieves the back pain. Hope you get this solved soon so you can enjoy your quilting.
    Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I bought a 'good' adjustable office chair from Staples and removed the arms so it is more usable. I really like the chair. It took my DMIL less than a week to burn the seat cover with an iron. There is a spot in the middle of the chair where an entire outline of her iron is melted right into the foam. This was about twelve yrs ago and I get to remember it every day when I sit at my machine. Sometimes I think she could break a bowling ball!
    peace
    Sounds like my DDIL. Years ago her cigarette burned a hole in the upholstery of my new car; I'd had it less than a week! Now I wouldn't even let anyone smoke inside my car! Especially her!
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Years ago I took some classes with Harriet Hargrave. In one of the classes the entire first part of the class was on ergonomic sewing/quilting. I tried the [expensive] chair she used but found it didn't fit my body even with the adjustments [whew!] However, at the store I saw what their secretaries and workers used and asked to take one home over the weekend and see if I liked it. On Monday I ordered one for myself and love it. It almmost forces me to sit straight and I don't tire so easily. It is a Swopper. It can be ordered online or at a office furniture store. It has been worth the price.
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM

I agree with others. I also have an office chair to sit on it works great. A girl friend has the cushion you see advertised on tv and she said that works for her.
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM

Mine came from Staples. Has lots of positions, adjustable back and was on sale for $75.00 when I bought it 4 years ago. Still no complaints.
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 AM

I use an old fashioned secretary's chair anywhere I have to sit for a long time. In at work they wanted to throw it out and get me one of those high back leather chairs and I told them NOOOOOO, don't touch my chair! The first thing I did when I got my job in the office was to move out one of those and put in my old timey one. It gives me great back support and so does the one I have at home. They were both made in the days before they decided to switch from four legs that lasted forever to five legs that don't.
    Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM

I've been looking at one for a while, but haven't made the purchase yet. The shop where I bought my machines, and take them for cleaning, sells these chairs and they are (sorry) Heavenly! I've had many types of office chairs over the years (as I work in an office) and not one comes close to how these feel.

If I'm in that chair for a couple of hours a day, that's more time than I spend in any one place else (except work). Also, I look at it as a long-term investment - not as something that would have to be replaced every couple of years.
    Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Any chair is good if you don't think about it at all while using it and don't notice odd aches and pains after you get up. If this is the holy grail for you - and maybe it is - at very least check into the return policy before you commit. I have a nice office chair in front of the machine I use most, a somewhat inferior office chair in front of another machine and an antique round piano stool in front of a third. All work fine for me, but maybe I don't have the health problems that you have and would notice a big difference if I did. I have to agree with those who point out that the back rest doesn't matter if you're not inclined to lean back while sewing.

My DH was surprised that I liked the piano stool, but I moved it up here after it finally dawned on me that the backrests on my sewing chairs were extraneous. Apparently my heinie is well enough padded that a solid wood seat is no problem either. I love that it swivels, as do the office chairs. As long as I'm not fighting to get up and down, I'm happy.
    Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM

I, too, have severe back pain. A few years ago, a office supply store was going out of business. So I went there and bought a very good quality office chair. Even with the chair, it is still very painful to sew. One thing I have learned from my chiropractor is this. Only work for 15-20 minutes at a time and then get up and walk around for a few minutes. I think you can get a good quality chair for less than $600.