Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do You Have a System ? >
  • Do You Have a System ?

• Do You Have a System ?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I have a "quilting" folder on my computer with sub-folders for quilt patterns filed by name, miscellaneous patterns (purses, etc.), Pantos, "how-to" tips and hints, quilt frame instructions, and sewing room ideas. Every once in awhile, I'll go in and clean out some of these files.

Patterns I've purchased or printed out are kept in 3-ring binders. Fabric requirements and a picture of projects I intend to make are kept in a little photo book in my purse for the trip to my favorite LQS. A small swatch of fabrics already purchased are included in the photobook and checked off the list.

I dunno if this is organized or just anal, but it keeps me in check.
    Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM

I used to own a quilt shop. I was amazed by people who came in all organized with what they have at home and just need to add to it or with a binder that has all their projects listed out with what fabric they used. One lady would bring in a binder that had every quilt she had ever made having its own sheet. On the sheet would be a picture of the finished quilt, small pictures of each fabric used, where the pattern is found or a copy attached in the binder, too.
    Any notes she wrote about the quilt. Pretty amazing. I would like to be that organized, but I would rather be quilting.
    Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM

I don't use systems, because I won't follow it. I am more a spur of the moment person. Most of my quilts are made with someone in mind, althought some have been made from blocks that I have won at the quild meeting and I want to know what it will look like, then it becomes a gift.
    Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Do you know how to save to a disc? You can make folders and EVEn save the http: and then when you click on it, you will return to the page with the information.

I've been saving photos, notes, tutorials, etc. but must take the time to save a disc. myself. There are just sooooo many GREAT things on here.

Love the jokes and stories tooooo that I save.
    Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Does no one but me put there future projects in the bookmark section here?
    Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
    Power Poster

No system either, just get in the mood to do something and go with it. :lol:
    Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM

I just use a notebook and vinyl document sleeves.
    Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM

My new years resolution for 2010 was to get as many UFO's/PHD's done that I could. So I made a list on Excel, with column of description, date started and date finished. I had 72 items on this list......yes, I did!!! some were in different stages, one I started in 1980 when I was pregnant with first DD and a few were kits I had bought.

As of Nov. 1st, I had 14 items completed and which did not include the outfits I made my DGD's (3), or the new DGD I got in October, which(I made her 3 tug along blankies and a quilt with matching bumper pad) wasn't expected till Nov 10th. I haven't quilted since the 3rd week of October, fore I was packing to move to our new house.......which I hate at the moment, cause I have no room, but I did get a sewing room. I haven't been in the mood since and just can't seem to make a new resolution for this year to continue on.

So the one time I made a list it did work for me. Just need to finish unloading a enclosed trailer with my quilting room stuff, so I can continue working on this list.

Sorry, just need to vent some.
    Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM

System of organization? What a wonderful idea! However for a REAL quilter, not a reality that lasts a lifetime. Forget it. Just enjoy each day and let your creative juices flow.
    Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM

I have put all my quilt patterns in binders and labeled them by their sizes. I have put coordinating fabrics in boxes/small totes so they are together I have been so busy organizing that I havent sewed in way too long...If I have quilt started I put it in seperate small box and put by sewing machine....I try not to have more than two cut out or started until I finish the two I have...Probably why I have only made about 6 quilts in two years lol If you come up with way to be organized and find time to sew let me know!!! Cheryl :-D