Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have your machine plugged into a surge protector? >
  • Do you have your machine plugged into a surge protector?

• Do you have your machine plugged into a surge protector?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

But of course! My machines are computerized and I would hate to fry them if something were to happen.

The other side of the room has a serge protector on it too. I turn everything off with the protectors at night.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-24-2015 at 09:08 AM.
    Old 12-24-2015, 09:11 AM

My machine is only plugged in when I am using it. I used to work at Radio Shack. With surge protectors...the higher the juele number, the higher the protection but NOTHING protects from lightening. The best surge protector is to simply unplug it when not in use.
    Old 12-24-2015, 09:11 AM

I have all my machines on surge protectors plus when I had the electrical changed over from the old fashion fuse box to breaker box I had them add a whole house surge protector. Don't know how well they protect as my old fridge blew its part that keeps the fridge cold. One thing nice about some of the surge protectors is that they will let you know if the wiring is correct. Had my electrician add more plugs down in my sewing room (basement) and as soon as I plugged in the surge protector is screamed "faulty wiring". The previous owner had wired the basement himself back in the 70's and didn't have a ground wire to it. My electrician didn't check it before adding the plugs but my surge protector called him on it. Also my APC battery backup on the backside has a added protection where it also will light up if the wiring is not correct. Had this battery backup for years and never noticed it till I replaced the battery.

Also won't call that electrician back again since he tried to pull the wool over my eyes as I asked him to check all the wiring for "up to code" and he didn't.
    Old 12-24-2015, 09:14 AM

Definitely, plus all tv's, computers, iron, etc. We lost a tv once when a surge hit our house. Expensive lesson.
    Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 AM
    Power Poster

ALWAYS!! I only buy Belkin since they are the best. Be very careful because there are some cheap ones out there. You want to buy quality. Your computerized sewing machine can easily be burned out by a power surge. I had a phone with answering machine and it got burned out by a power surge when the power came back on.
    Old 12-24-2015, 10:04 AM

Most of my machines are non-electronic, so they get plugged into the wall, but are not left plugged in.

When I pull out the embroidery machine, I use a surge suppressor for that one.

And for my long arm with the computerized drive, I go one better and have it plugged in to a UPS. I live rural, and it's not uncommon to have the power blink.
    Old 12-24-2015, 11:10 AM

Absolutely. With the computers in these machines, I wouldn't want to fry a motherboard with a surge.
    Old 12-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Yes I do and when we are on a road trip I always unplug it also for our Mac. Rather be safe than sorry

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Old 12-24-2015, 12:10 PM

I have a surge protector with a battery back up for mine...Not only lightening, but "brown outs" where the power slows down and speeds up are a killer. The more expensive machines are actually computers...and need to be protected from surges.
    Old 12-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Good ones are more expensive...the "strip" ones, really don't protect your machine. I am with the others, if you don't have one, keep your machine unplugged if you aren't using it.