Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you hide >
  • Do you hide

• Do you hide

Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 AM

Loved the video. I think everyone needs to lighten up! We are not talking marriage destruction here. I think a little guilt over overbuying can be a little healthy. Sustainability of the earth as well as our retirement funds should be in our thoughts as well. Now let's just enjoy and USE our purchases to make the world a warmer, prettier place!
    Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 AM

Nope, I do not hide. I am proud of my quilting, and my tools. I can't make the things he likes to give away without the proper fabric!
    Old 05-29-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skhf
    Loved the video. I think everyone needs to lighten up! We are not talking marriage destruction here. I think a little guilt over overbuying can be a little healthy. Sustainability of the earth as well as our retirement funds should be in our thoughts as well. Now let's just enjoy and USE our purchases to make the world a warmer, prettier place!
    I asked because I am genuinely curious. Does your husband really know all of your clothes so that he'd recognize you in a different pair of jeans or tshirt, for example? Maybe because I go to yard sales and thrift stores and buy stuff cheaply, no one thing represents a lot of money/investment. I buy stuff to cut up, but first offer shirts to my husband and kids--of course, they can wear it--but because of this, I don't recognize all of my own husband's/son's clothes.

I just find it interesting that he would actually know everything you own.

Just wondering how it works in these marriages if you buy a new pan/pot or how about groceries--can you buy chicken breast or does it have to be chicken livers? or can you stop for an ice cream cone or buy a hot dog at the gas station, or a logic problem/puzzle book at Walmart....?

I am curious because here in Poland, I often see husbands and wives grocery shopping together. I've wondered if it is 1. a control thing--he doesn't trust her to spend the right amount 2. a way to spend "quality" time together 3. she needs/wants the help lifting heavy things 4. she doesn't have a driver's license and needs to put the groceries in the car.

Anyway, I hardly ever remember seeing a husband and wife go around the grocery store together in the US, and yet it happens often here.
    Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 AM

My DH & I go to the grocery store together almost every time, unless he happens to be out and about and picks up a few things. Otherwise we have to have lists and things get forgotten. Between the two of us we usually remember everything we need.

He WOULD notice if I had new clothes, mostly because I HATE clothes shopping and tend to wear things until they're rags. Buying new clothes is something I do rarely, and I do it in bulk. I find pants that fit well and buy five identical pairs and then when I get home I toss the five pair I bought last time that are now all tattery. Ditto for shirts, socks...everything. So when *I* go clothes shopping, I'm often replacing a significant percentage of my small wardrobe and I bring in the motherlode and then there's a matching motherlode being hauled back out. That's enough activity that he'll notice! (Plus I'm usually grousing about how much things cost... LOL)

That reminds me, sigh. I'm running out of tee shirts. Time to go find one that fits and buy twenty of them!
    Old 05-29-2015, 05:31 AM

I don't hide ... but there have been some unintended hidings....in other words ... I go to find a fabric I know I have and its hiding somewhere.
    Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 AM

Since I am getting ready to move, and don't want it to look like I am taking too much of my fabric with me, I am going to us fabric to wrap dishes and other breakables. I also put a yardage piece in the bottom of the boxes. My husband and son will be surprised about all I have gotten rid of. Wait till I get there.
    Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 AM

I took up quilting after I became a widow 20 years ago, so I didn't need to hide my fabric. But when I remarried my new husband (is 20 years older than me), his first wife was not a crafty person. So he thinks you should be able to sew forever with a fat quarter (he almost fell over when I moved in and I had two sewing machines). So to keep the peace in my household, I hide my fabric (I drive an SUV, so this is a little harder). I sew in part of our living room, but I have bins in our spare bedroom. What I have been doing is when a bin is full of fabric and I find I get more (my fabric comes from - a friend who doesn't sew any more, garage sales, thrift stores, the QB and I recycle and up-cycling too), I have started using the vacuum bags. I will load up a vacuum bag and suck all the air out, then it will fit in my bin with LOTS of extra room. Then I will add my new fabric on top, until it's time to fill another bag. When husband sees that I have the same bins, he doesn't think anything of it. I have been doing this a little more over the last year, due to husbands health is starting to fail. I will be his only caregiver, so I will need all the fabric I can get to keep sewing with I'm unable to go out shopping. I know I can buy on line, but I still like to go to the LQS. But VACUUM bags are wonderful
    Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Before my DH retired, I bought all the fabric I wanted. I didn't flaunt it, as he isn't interested in what I buy and HATES shopping, but he never said anything about the expense either. He won't even go furniture shopping. After he retired we keep a spreadsheet of what we spend and where, to make sure we stay pretty close to budget. He still doesn't say anything and it is all staring him in the face on the computer. I don't resort to the "Walmart" ploy either, tho thought it funny. He doesn't understand multiple machines either, or the price of fabric, but always say, "you know how much we can afford." He does accompany me grocery shopping sometimes but strictly sticks to whatever is on the list. If we forgot to write it down, it doesn't enter his mind. As I saunter the aisles (sometimes remembering we are out of this or that), he runs to the next aisle and back with the next items on the list to put in the cart. It drives me crazy but he is quick and helpful, just not patient. LOL On the self scanning machines, I often have to tell him to put it back on the belt, as he already has it in the bag, while the machine is telling me "item removed from the belt", assistance needed. Too quick sometimes, ha, ha.
    Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 AM

Justflyingin, in my little town in the suburbs, no one has time to enjoy walking the supermarket aisles with the spouse. I enjoy doing it with him for fun, and then go home and cook up a storm, but we are always on the go and barely have time to gook what we buy! It's easier now the kids are gone, but it didn't take us long to fill in those hours not at games and concerts and parades etc. with other interests.

And yes, my husband would probably recognize everything I wear, unless it was something put away for years, or maybe boring jeans or underwear. I buy classic styles, take good care of what I buy and keep clothes forever. I'm wearing shoes I've owed for 20 years. I'm wearing a silk top that I bought sometime before 1990, can't remember when.

It is not about the money. He likes looking at me! And I like looking good! Woo-woo!!!
    Old 05-29-2015, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

I thought b o a t stood for Break Out Another Thousand.... ;-)
    That is so true! LOL