Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you hide >
  • Do you hide

• Do you hide

Old 05-29-2015, 04:07 PM

DH's vices cost way more than my quilting purchases. No need to hide anything. LOL
    Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
    I don't hide my fabric. He knows it's there and doesn't say a word about it.....it would do him any good if he did.

I thought b o a t stood for Break Out Another Thousand.... ;-)
    That's a good one! And, unfortunately, true .....
    Old 05-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
    Thee and me, Onebyone! This is the 21st century, for goodness sake. I ran for school board several years ago and when we were placing yard signs, it astounded me that some women whom I knew supported me, had to ask their husband's permission to display a sign. I lost the election, but I learned so much about 21st century husband/wife relationships that I am still appalled. froggyintexas
    Unfortunately, there are still too many women living in the dark ages in our very own land of the free .....

Hang in there: our DD's SIL ran for their school board: third time's the charm!
    Old 05-29-2015, 04:46 PM

I hide mine in a container but I have told my husband about my fabric so now I don't have to hide it
    Old 05-29-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I asked because I am genuinely curious. Does your husband really know all of your clothes so that he'd recognize you in a different pair of jeans or tshirt, for example? Maybe because I go to yard sales and thrift stores and buy stuff cheaply, no one thing represents a lot of money/investment. I buy stuff to cut up, but first offer shirts to my husband and kids--of course, they can wear it--but because of this, I don't recognize all of my own husband's/son's clothes.

I just find it interesting that he would actually know everything you own.

Just wondering how it works in these marriages if you buy a new pan/pot or how about groceries--can you buy chicken breast or does it have to be chicken livers? or can you stop for an ice cream cone or buy a hot dog at the gas station, or a logic problem/puzzle book at Walmart....?

I am curious because here in Poland, I often see husbands and wives grocery shopping together. I've wondered if it is 1. a control thing--he doesn't trust her to spend the right amount 2. a way to spend "quality" time together 3. she needs/wants the help lifting heavy things 4. she doesn't have a driver's license and needs to put the groceries in the car.

Anyway, I hardly ever remember seeing a husband and wife go around the grocery store together in the US, and yet it happens often here.
    We lived "next door" to you in Austria for twenty-one years. I always took DH with me shopping when I was going to buy a crate of beer or a lot of wine: he made a good "pack beast".

In general, I did most of my daily shopping (like almost everyone else) in a tiny grocery across the street. FYI, refrigerators in most of Europe are the size of what we (in the USA/Canada) call a "bar" refrigerator. Big American refrigerators (yes, they are called that in stores) are gaining popularity as more people have cars and do weekly shopping.
    Old 05-29-2015, 05:42 PM

I don't hide my fabric, either. We give ourselves a monthly allotment and it is on each of us to keep track of our spending. Lately, it's been more tools than fabric.
    Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 PM

My situation is a little different as I still live with my parents. I may not hide the fabric very well, but *I* might hide! Haha. Usually though (with my mother, at least) if I just show her all of it she can't deny how neat or pretty it is. And I'll just start talking a million miles per hour in "sewing" speak about how I'll just make this with it, and selvedge edge this and that and seam allowances and mitered corners and people get so confused and think I'm an expert and just go "oh, ok." Just talk them in circles.

I also have a thing for vintage sewing machines and there really isn't much to do to hide those, particularly when they're in a cabinet. Though I see my mother is starting to get the "bug" too. I showed her a particularly neat looking machine the other day and she exclaimed "Wow!" and how neat looking it was and on and on. As the spider weaves its web...
    Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 PM

One year we bought my dad a new BBQ for his birthday. We didn't really have anywhere to put it, so out into the porch it went. It sat there for 2 weeks while we waited for his birthday to roll around. Finally the day came, we sang, had cake, and asked him how he liked his gift... He was dumbfounded as to what on earth we were talking about, standing in front of the thing the whole time!! We finally had to show him. It was hysterical. Maybe your DH will have the same experience, with the quilt on the rack! :-)

Originally Posted by Angel Bear
    I don't hide anything I buy unless it's a surprise for him. Right now I am desperately trying to finish (and hide) a "Mr. Fix-It" quilt for his birthday and I have less than three weeks. The fabric is tools, etc. and so far, I've been able to hide it when I hear him coming. I hope to finish the top tomorrow or Saturday, but I don't know how I'm going to hide it once it's on the quilt frame. I really want it to be a surprise.
    Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 PM

I don't hide fabric, but I hide my good scissors!
    Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches
    One year we bought my dad a new BBQ for his birthday. We didn't really have anywhere to put it, so out into the porch it went. It sat there for 2 weeks while we waited for his birthday to roll around. Finally the day came, we sang, had cake, and asked him how he liked his gift... He was dumbfounded as to what on earth we were talking about, standing in front of the thing the whole time!! We finally had to show him. It was hysterical. Maybe your DH will have the same experience, with the quilt on the rack! :-)
    This whole thread has me chuckling--I routinely hide my husband's Christmas present if it's big--like a new grill or a new bookcase, in the garage where he walks by it daily--he never sees it! While we don't hide our purchases (quilting stuff for me and books, CD's & sporting event tickets) I do have a habit of starting my Christmas shopping NOW and the putting presents aside--and often forget a present or two and they end up being Valentine or birthday presents instead! As far a grocery shopping--I trained him well-I make a list, pull coupons and send him--after 30+ years, he's pretty darn good at it!