Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you iron your quilt tops before.. >
  • Do you iron your quilt tops before..

• Do you iron your quilt tops before..

Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 PM

I also iron a lot of my blocks. It does make them lie flat better and eaier to work with. I moved my machine to another room to be closer to my cutting table and ironing board, so save steps and make it easier for to do my quilts.
    Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM

I too press from the moment I make an individual block until the entire top is finished, that way hopefully I can catch any mistakes, loose threads, etc.
    Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM

i also press each seam as i sew...it helps when i have to sew seams together. and, when i finish the whole top i press it before it gets quilted and i press the back especially when i make it up myself
    Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM

I am always ironing it seems, I iron between each piece I block (sew) then iron each time I add on to it and yes I iron the entire quilt top before I sandwich it, or send it away which ever the case it might be.

Maybe1day
    Old 11-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Yep, I am an ironer! Every step of the way. I also use spray starch. I just read somewhere that bugs love to eat starch so you should use the expensive stuff they sell in the quilt shops (that the bugs don't like) - anyone know about this?
    Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Absolutely. Just my personal perference to press during and after block construction and after finishing the top.
    Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gail-r
    I press each step and starch before cutting fabric and starch the top after it is together and also starch the backing. Makes the quilt go together nicely and reduces the chance of wrinkles during quilting.
    I do this too, but all my quilt sandwiches are made and finished on the longarm. If you don't want wrinkles or pleats on your quilt, you have to press the top and backing before loading them on the longarm. However, my DH bought me a steamer, so the next quilt will get steamed before I load it and I'll see if I like that. I do like the way the starch gives so much body to the quilt, so I need to figure out how to do the starch and steam thing.
    Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
    Like "Bear-is-Gray" (she must be part native American!) i press mine...I'm a believer that pressing helps make the final product more square and helps keep everything lined up and also gives me the chance to check for stray threads, missed "oops" spots, etc.I think it also makes the sandwiching easier since I don't have to work so hard to get the top flat on the batting.
    Me too ! If I am doing the quilting, I want every advantage I can get to make quilting easier. you catch little folds before the walking foot does. besides, it is fun to look at the quilt a little at a time & realize you have finished it and appreciate the work.
    Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM

I press - seems to help the top lay better when sandwiching it. A
    Old 11-13-2010, 04:07 PM

I press and starch from beginning to end. I just like the way it looks and feels. - Cynthia