Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you iron your seams open? >
  • Do you iron your seams open?

• Do you iron your seams open?

Old 06-07-2024, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by stitch678
    The only time that seams pressed open are a problem is when you want to " stitch in the ditch". If you stitch on the sewing line, there is no fabric there... only thread. When l custom quilt a top with seams pressed open, l need to be careful to avoid quilting down those seams, and stitch next to them instead.
    I wanted to add that a hand running stitch can't be pressed open, because there isn't a top and bottom thread for each stitch. The only way to cover the gaps is with a seam allowance pressed to the side -- so maybe that's where pressing to the side originated.
    Old 06-07-2024, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

I use a small stitch length for piecing. Nothing higher than a 1.8. No need to backstitch at the beginning or ending. Never had a problem with seams popping.
    Old 06-18-2024, 08:59 AM

I've noticed my pressing habits to be evolving. it's what you all have said. Nesting is wonderful and helps my accuracy on bigger pieces. On smaller pieces, if my quarter-inch seam got a little too big, pressing open can give me that extra millimeter I need so my final block comes out big enough. But it is harder to get pressed-open seams to intersect. So, it depends on the project (and how I'm sewing that day) what works best.
    I did watch the Leah Day link -- love "myth-busters" but as always with that kind of thing, was disappointed. She did not dispel the "myth" that pressed-open seams are as strong as side-pressed. She simply said "see this seam? I've been playing with it for five minutes and it hasn't come open." She stated the stitch length has to be quite small for the seams to stay together. She also stated that side-pressing is "messy and lazy," so her opinion is clear. I suspect none of us are "messy and lazy" with piecing regardless of the way we prefer to iron. My own pressed-open seams do come apart if they are not back-tacked. The side-pressed seams don't. This is not usually an issue since the seams will be sewn over by adjoining pieces anyway.

In short -- factor in stitch length, size of pieces, number of joining seams, and your personal preference and experience.
    Old 06-18-2024, 12:52 PM

When I first started quilting, the woman who did long arming for me told me to press seams to one side. I have done it that way ever since.
    Old 06-18-2024, 01:19 PM
    Power Poster

It all comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't ever say there is only one right way to do things.
    Old 06-18-2024, 05:21 PM

Perhaps Leah Day will lose some followers after such a remark. She's imputing a character flaw and a tolerance of messiness to millions of quilters, no doubt most of them older than herself. Bad behavior.
    Old 06-19-2024, 04:43 AM

Ms. Day's remark is rather insulting. I just watched a video by Corey Yoder (Coriander Quilts) where she addressed pressing of seams. She usually presses to the side, preferring the "nesting" of seams over need to accurately pin to get them to match up. When there is a lot of bulk, though, she does press open. I fall into that category as well. usually to the side, for speed and easy accuracy, but open when it makes more sense. I don't really worry too much what someone else is doing.
    Old 06-21-2024, 10:51 AM

I press open whenever I can. It makes the top lie much flatter for quilting, and I think results in a nicer looking quilt. I do not nest seams I pin them...pinning is more accurate if you take your time. I use the extra fine Clover patchwork pins so I can sew over them!

But...there are times ie. when sewing a strip of fabric to an edge with many seams, where I press to one side, so all those seams don't fold over and create bulk.

Last edited by WesternWilson; 06-21-2024 at 10:54 AM.