Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you iron your seams open? >
  • Do you iron your seams open?

• Do you iron your seams open?

Old 06-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Default Do you iron your seams open?

I've noticed that when I iron a patch with the seams ironed in in the same directiion, and tI forms a little lump . This seems to change the size of the patch a tiny bit and throws off the complede size of the block . I was wondering if anyone irons the seams open, or how they treat the seam so it does not change the size of the patch,
    Old 06-05-2024, 09:45 AM
    Power Poster

I now iron my seams open. I used to iron to the dark and then noticed some professional quilters suggesting ironing open gives a better result. Leah Day devoted a video to dispelling myths such as the seams would be weaker (they aren't) and other myths. I have been doing this for several years and it seems to work better for me. My quilts do not have weak seams.
    Old 06-05-2024, 09:55 AM
    Power Poster

I don't, because it takes more time and I don't want to burn my fingers. I have my seam allowance set up so that I still get accuracy. But it's a personal choice, just like almost everything else in quilting. Do what gives you the best result.
    Old 06-05-2024, 01:29 PM

I started quilting in the late 70s before the rotary revolution and although I've tried to the side, I've almost always pressed open. I came from garment sewing and it made sense to me. For the most part, early quilting books and patterns didn't discuss seams very often, not on the pressing or even the size.

I am a big believer in pressing my seams open and have my reasons for it, biggest is for me it makes them much more accurate. I like having "one rule" instead press to the dark except here and here and there and that....I believe that pressing to the side is an artifact (leftover rule) of hand sewing and that with sewing machines and irons and well woven fabric is just not necessary nor ideal.

There are times, however, such as with curves and some other specific reasons when I will press to the side.

Yes, you have to learn how to press correctly, it isn't that hard nor that time consuming. Keeping the chain sewing together helps align the seams and makes it much faster and easier than doing stacks of single connections.
    Old 06-05-2024, 01:43 PM

I press open 99.99% of the time. I feel it gives me more accuracy and much less bulk and I hate trying to figure out a pressing plan and many patterns lack a pressing plan. I do shorten my stitch length and stay stitch around the edge of the quilt when I am done. I have never had an issue when I longarm and so far I have not had a quilt returned for seam issues.
    Old 06-05-2024, 01:47 PM

I prefer to press to the dark side or the side that the seam naturally wants to fold when the two colors are quite similar. This is likely just habit. But, occasionally, I will come across a pattern the insists pressing open will give a better end result. In that case, open it is. The leader of my quilting group insists that open is always best but she gives us the choice and will indicate when doing our sew-a-long if open is better.

Old 06-05-2024, 02:20 PM
    Power Poster

I started ironing my seams open when I realized the old rule was out dated. I found the perfect tool for me to use.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/12-in...we-and-me-wool
    Watch for sales at various sites.
    Old 06-05-2024, 03:34 PM

I press my seams open and I started to do that while I was making mini quilts. My minis were laying much flatter when the seams were pressed open and no bulk at intersections. This just carried over to my regular sized quilts.
    Old 06-05-2024, 05:00 PM

THanks for the diverse info! When I first started quilting, pressing the fold to the side was the norm. As my quilts got more diverse, I noticed that ironing them open gave a better result...but I'vd been noticing that it looks better to iron them open in a lot of places...but I worried that the seam would rip open! Now, I can relax..
    Old 06-05-2024, 05:11 PM

well, I still mostly press to one side as I really truly like the way pressing them in opposite directions where the seams intersect is much easier and accurate then pressing them open. Gotta have the top seam edge pointing towards the back so it locks better. Open or doing this, you still have the same amount of fabric on each side of the seam. I will occasionally press open if that is what works better. I am not opposed to pressing toward the light side when it makes sense nor am I opposed to flipping a seam in the opposite direction when it makes sense. Yes, that leaves a little twist in the seam if both ends of the seam are pressed in the opposite direction but I give it a little press and it is just fine. I never ad problems with quilting it because of seams. I do confess to really disliking pinning. I find that pressing seams open requires more care and pinning so the seams intersections line up. This is just a bit more fussing and time consuming to me. However, I do not make many art quilts and never have done a show quilt. I just make quilts meant to be used and thrown in a washer and yes, even a dryer. I don't think there is right or wrong answer, just what works for you and the particular project.