Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you just need to do an easy one sometimes? >
  • Do you just need to do an easy one sometimes?

• Do you just need to do an easy one sometimes?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM

I keep my stash of left over strips of material close by the machine. When I want to do something "mindless" I sew strips to a foundation. When I've accumulated a bunch of blocks, I make up a string quilt. I back them with fleece, put in a few rows of quilting, do a self binding and in no time I have a finished quilt--easy, quick, and no thinking. I love them.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Yes, please! The last two were not easy! Not like it was totally difficult piecing-wise but have a lot of small pieces. One of them is over 2500 pieces and I still have the border to do.

I just want to do a quick, simple one as soon as I finish these!
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM

I have made only one easy quilt since I started almost 4 years ago. I have 3 sets of charm squares on hold from a secret sister swap at my guild, I just might make a simpler quilt with them. :-D
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Oh, yes. When start feeling bogged down by a large project, I'll put it aside for a while and do a couple of small ones. The feeling of accomplishment gives me the incentive to continue and finish the larger one.
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM

I have made almost nothing but large quilts. I decided this year to do some tablerunners and wall hangings...and some placemats...and some bags.
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 AM

I am glad that you all mix it up! I was getting so that I was overwhelmed. When I look back on the last year, I did about 10 projects and half of a Bali Wedding Ring which was a big stretch for me.
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM

Yes, I tend to go back and forth between more simple and more complex. It keeps it interesting for me and I don't feel so bad about the complex ones taking so much time!

For example after my Hunters Star, I have now started a String X scrappy quilt from quiltville.com... They are on opposite ends of the difficulty spectrum....
    Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
    Banned

Definitely! After a challenging quilt I like to do a bag, or machine cover, or something small and simple to kind of 'cleanse' LOL! It just helps me get over one and onto another
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
    I bought all kinds of challenging kits and patterns over the past year. But I was getting burnt out. I think because of the constant challenge. Everything I was touching was either a new technique or complex paper piecing or lots of triangles.

So over the weekend, I did a simple charms laptop. It was great. Looks good to a non-quilter and the most thinking I had to do was nesting seams. I had an enjoyable no brainer weekend.

Now to some SID and I am done.
    Me too. I just finished the silk quilt and am awaiting fabric to finish a QAYG on the embroidery machine. So today I am using my stash to make a simple throw or QFK quilt with a panel I cut apart and am putting rail fence between. Need something with no thinking after working with the silk. I have several panels I am going to do for charity quilts. Then I can go back to the embroidery machine refreshed.
    Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Because of time, I think most of mine would probably qualify as easy. At least until I retire in a decade + 3 years....and I have some waiting for me when I have the time and focused brainpower to give them!