Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you know before you start >
  • Do you know before you start

• Do you know before you start

Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 AM

I usually find the project that interests me and then figure out what I'm going to do with it. The idea is to have fun doing whatever you are doing, first!!!!
    Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Once in awhile I will make quilt for a specific purpose. These days, mostly I just make the quilt I want to make at the moment. I just finished piecing one that I'm afraid is dreadful--way too much color. It was an experiment though and I learned something and some kid somewhere will love it so nothing is lost.
    Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM

I usually make a quilt because it is something I really want to do. Finding an interesting and appealing pattern and fabrics I really want to use spurs me on. I rotate my display quilts too so I have different ones to look at.
    Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM
    Power Poster

I just make it, then decide what to do with it~
    Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Not usually. Hubby asked me that -- "What are you going to do with all of that material?" Dunno. I don't make a quilt to actually HAVE a quilt. I make a quilt for the process. I just love the doing of it. Usually I don't have a destination (except for my 5-quilt reunion project - oh, my!)
    Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dallen4350
    what you are going to do with your quilt? If it is a wall hanging, where you will hang it?

I saw a pattern for a beautiful wall hanging that I really wanted to make. When I showed my sister, she asked where I was going to hang it. As if I thought that far ahead.

So, do you have a need then find a quilt pattern to fulfill your need? Or do you decide to make a quilt and then find the use for it?
    I know what I am going to do with each quilt before I make it. I don't do too many wall hangings, all the walls are filled with other art. The most wall hangings in our house are on the stairway between the first and second floor.
    John
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Nope, not usually! The joy is in the creating for me, then I figure, it will find a home later, either with me, or someone else, somewhere down the line, lol! I hate it when someone, usually DH, asks that question, it's kind of like they are missing the whole point of why we quilt in the first place, right! Quilts are not like furniture, we don't need to find a place to put them before we make them, right! Some people just don't get it, lol!
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 AM

I make most of my quilts purely for the joy of making them! I do make some for gifts, and of course, I have a pre-determined purpose for them, but most are made with no particular destination in mind. As I progress with the project many times I will decide that it would make a good gift for a friend or family member, but I must admit to keeping alot of my quilts for myself. I have a whole wall with floor to ceiling shelves in my closet that are filled with quilts!
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM

I always have a person/event in mind before I make a quilt.
    I don't make wallhangings because I don't have anywhere to hang them.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM

I usually know what I am going to do with the finished project, but not always.
    I have learned that if I start a project with a finish (need) date a long way down the road I become a great procrastinator and work on other projects in the meantime. Need more self-discipline at the sewing table!