Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you know of a good beginner sampler quilt? >
  • Do you know of a good beginner sampler quilt?

• Do you know of a good beginner sampler quilt?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 PM

For my third quilt, I would like to do a sampler to teach be a few simple techniques. Does anyone have a recommendation?

My first 2 quilts were both rail fences so I have only done straight lines. I would like to start working with triangles and other basic piecing skills.

I am hoping to find either a book or printed pattern with good instructions rather than choosing a bunch of blocks online and then putting them together.

Thanks so much!!!
    Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM

The Quilt in a Day "Pioneer Sampler" is a good one...very easy to follow instructions and 12 different blocks...you can find it online at Amazon for sure.
    Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

If you go to Quilterscache.com, there is a page of 12" blocks that are different star patterns, if that would be of interest to you. It is basically the same block, with variations.
    Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 AM

When I first started quilting I purchaed "Fons and Porter, Complete Guide to Quilting". They start you off with the basic patch and then triangles, etc. It's a wonderful book and has become my bible. Even went and had a spiral binding put on it, have post-it-notes where I need to go back and re-visit to get info. Take a look at it. Start at the beginning and work your way up. Also, very good instructions! :-D :thumbup:
    Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 AM

I am part of the Newbie challenge and my "mom" and I are doing the pioneer block of the month quilt together online, you are welcome to join us, I am new as well and she is going to be the mentor would love to have you join us. the link is on the block of the month it will teach you different blocks and methods.
    Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by farnsworth
    I am part of the Newbie challenge and my "mom" and I are doing the pioneer block of the month quilt together online, you are welcome to join us, I am new as well and she is going to be the mentor would love to have you join us. the link is on the block of the month it will teach you different blocks and methods.
    Hi I am farnsworth "Mom", please join us. You can PM me so we will together; (thread here or by email)
    Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM

I recommend the book "Start Quilting" by Alex Anderson. The rail fence in that book was my first quilt. But, she also has a very simple sampler in the book. Some rail fence blocks, some flying geese, some friendship stars. It's all in one easy pattern. Good luck.
    Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
    Power Poster

Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! is another excellent "beginner" book - I like it better than the Fons and Porter one.
    Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! I have taught a couple classes from this book and highly recommend it.
    Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM

[quote=Kryssa]For my third quilt, I would like to do a sampler to teach be a few simple techniques. Does anyone have a recommendation?

My first 2 quilts were both rail fences so I have only done straight lines. I would like to start working with triangles and other basic piecing skills.

I am hoping to find either a book or printed pattern with good instructions rather than choosing a bunch of blocks online and then putting them together.

Kryssa
    Thanks so much for posting this message as that is exactly the stage I am at also...need to get out of my comfort zone and challenge myself.
    Thanks to all that replied and the great suggestions.
    dee