Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you like "Shabby Chic" decor? >
  • Do you like "Shabby Chic" decor?

• Do you like "Shabby Chic" decor?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, I like it and I have made several quilts before. these quilts are very popular with my adult daughters and daughter in law.

I used Moda Martinique.
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Being new to all this I looked up Shabby Chic and here is what Wikipedia says: Shabby chic is a form of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their age and signs of wear and tear or new items are distressed to achieve the appearance of an antique. At the same time, a soft, minimalistic, and feminine feel is emphasized to differentiate it from regular vintage decor; hence the "chic" in the name. Shabby chic items are often heavily painted through the years, with many layers showing through obviously time-worn areas. The style is imitated in faux painting using glaze or by painting then rubbing and sanding away the top coat to show the wood or base coats. Fabrics tend to be cottons and linens, with linen being particularly popular, inspired by old French linens. Whites and worn or bleached out pastels are favorite colours. Fabric is often stained with tea to give it the look of old fabric. Bleached and faded are terms often applied to the style.

The essence of today's shabby chic style is vintage and antique furniture with the original aged paint, or painted white (or another soft pastel color) and distressed at the corners by sanding. Antique pieces such as pie safes and jelly cupboards are popular in shabby chic décor.[2]

Popular decor items are pillows made of vintage barkcloth fabric, vintage linens, chenille bedspreads, vintage chandeliers, and anything with roses on it. It is a soft, relaxed feminine romantic way of decorating that looks comfortable and inviting. Also called cottage style.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM

I love it but have never seen any quilts done in a shabby chic motif.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Well, guess what... in September one of the fabric manufacturers will be making a line of OFFICIAL Shabby Chic fabrics. Not look-alikes, they will be designed by Rachel Ashwell herself.

It's a rather large grouping of damasks, floral stripes, simpler stripes, florals in several scales from tiny to large, and "solids".

White backgrounds, and then pink/green/blue/lavender florals/stripes/damasks.

I got a chance to see the sample cloth and it was wonderfully smooth and silky feeling.

OH, I Can Handly Wait!!! I have to get busy and finish up a batch of charity quilts so I can be ready for the Arrival Day :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY :D :D :D
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Well, guess what... in September one of the fabric manufacturers will be making a line of OFFICIAL Shabby Chic fabrics. Not look-alikes, they will be designed by Rachel Ashwell herself.

It's a rather large grouping of damasks, floral stripes, simpler stripes, florals in several scales from tiny to large, and "solids".

White backgrounds, and then pink/green/blue/lavender florals/stripes/damasks.

I got a chance to see the sample cloth and it was wonderfully smooth and silky feeling.
    Love it! Can't wait to see it!
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I made a Shabby Chic quilt top. It's still just a top right now since I have a long haired black cat and she thinks half the bed is hers. This is the only picture I have of it and this is before the borders went on.

The fabrics are from the Moda Seaside Rose collection and the Paris Flea Market collection.
    I am bookmarking this one! Sooo pretty, love Shabby chic and hope to make one in the next year and this is it! Need to get my fabrics now, thanks so much for sharing everyone!
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM

I too, love the dumpster decor remark but "in my day" we would have called it "early attic".LOL
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 PM
    Power Poster

I love the look!
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM

I don't like shabby chic, in my opinion some of it is just weird. For example a beautiful treadle cabinet and someone paints it all white....I don't get it at all.
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:53 PM

I like it if there's enough contrast in colors such as the OBW that QUILTE posted the link to above.