Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice >
  • Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

• Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]341794[/ATTACH]This one was square and I added the migrating geese. I just don't like square quilts.
    Ooooh... that is one spectacular quilt! Square, rectangular, round... whatever! I love it!
    Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by judylg
    I have a quilt nearly finished, only have the borders to add. I look at the quilt laying on the floor and wonder if I should add something to make it into a rectangle shape, it would have to be added on the top and bottom and then I would add final border. I wonder has anyone done that? I have it in two colors, which I like. It is a redwork with 9 blocks, triple sashing and nine patch (background of redwork blocks-off white and red fabrics). Not sure what I could add to it to add length and yet fit in. As I say the square just does not appeal to me, but may leave it if too much work. I hope my explanation is ok.
    I have two twins, with a headboard and footboard, so I need rectangular. In most cases I do a border on the sides to lengthen the quilt. I don't care if it doesn't match up - no one knows. In one case I made a scrappy trip around the world. I made an extra set of blocks and I used all white on each half of the block instead of the assorted scrappy blocks. It turned out with white points and looks really great. (I was so proud). I'll try and find a pic.
    Judi
    Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 AM

A flying geese question, I have to go across 50 inches, what size of blocks should I use to start with? Thanks. I like the look of these, I think this might work out.
    Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 AM

Baby quilts somehow are almost always square for me but bed and sofa quilts end up being rectangles. Why? I'm square from shoulders to waiste but rectangle from head to toe~!
    Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 AM

I don't like square quilts because I don't have a square bed. Nor do I like them as throw quilts because even though I'm not a thin person, I am taller than I am wide. Just my own preference of course...
    Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM

I like quilts for myself to be rectangular because I throw one over me at nighttime while I'm watching T.V. and I'm longer than I'm wide (thank God).
    Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Mine are mostly rectangles. You can always add another row of blocks or add a "special" top and bottom border with appliques or embroidery before you add the other borders.
    Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 AM

I like square bed quilts (King size even though bed is queen) and rectangular 'body' quilts!

I also like square baby quilts ... they look pretty spread out on the floor for baby to crawl around on.
    Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Here is a website that has a technique sheet for making migrating geese. The price with shipping is a bit over $8.
    http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/tucker.htm
    Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM

If you are still on the fence about adding borders to make it rectangular - lay the square quilt out someplace - I use my living room floor - and then I take fabric I would be adding as the extra borders and fold it to the proper size and arrange it around the quilt. Live with it for a little while and see what you think. This way it's just a matter of picking it up if you don't like it.

A quilting friend of mine does a lot of "auditioning" when she quilts and I have begun doing it on some projects. Sometimes what we think will work doesn't.