Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you like to use Thick and Thin fabrics >
  • Do you like to use Thick and Thin fabrics

• Do you like to use Thick and Thin fabrics

Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Hi all, I do need to clarify my question. I am not talking of cheap fabric just the differences in weights. I am also talking about bed quilts. I just don't like to make a quilt using two much different thicknesses of fabrics. ONe I think the thinner fabrics will wear fastest and two I don't like the feel of it when working with them. Much nicer with the same weight of fabric, to me that is.lol

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    To all of you who responded that you don't use "thin" fabrics, I have to ask if you use batiks? While I wouldn't define them as thin as in "scanty" - they ARE thinner than a lot of other cottons - for example a Hoffman Asian. The difference is notable yet they are both good quality cottons - neither being "scanty".

I have used Batiks with heavier cottons (like Asians), and I won't do it any more. My main reason is that I like working in small pieces, and when you work with small pieces that teeny tiny bit of difference in the seam allowance will matter! If you use the same seam allowance (when sewing) to sew a Batik to a Batik, a Batik to an Asian, and an Asian to a Asian - you will have three different "finished" seam allowances after you press the seams. When you are working with a finished 1/4" piece ... you have trouble with a capital T. I for one do NOT want to adjust my needle position for each combination of "weight" that I use.

Just tonight I finished putting a border on a WIP. The border uses 6 different fabrics randomly in a "mosiac" of 5 1/4" squares. The next time I attempt a border like this, I'm going to make sure that all my fabrics are the same "weight" or "thickness" as some were not the same - again - these are all name brand quality cottons from LQS.

So even though you are buying good quality cottons, there are still differences.

Even within one manufacturer, I can find different weights in their fabrics.
    Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 AM
    Power Poster

pretty much all of my cotton fabrics are the same weight- quilting cottons- the only fabric in my stash that is not the same weight as the rest is some of the muslins- i do buy quality (quilting weight) muslins if using for piecing- but i buy thinner-less expensive muslins to use for foundations.
    if i am making a mixed textile quilt the weights may differ- such as using flannels, corduroys, homespuns, denims in a quilt- but normal-cotton quilting my fabrics are all pretty much the same