Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do You Make A Sample Square ? >
  • Do You Make A Sample Square ?

• Do You Make A Sample Square ?

Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 AM

One reson I make a block before cutting all the blocks, is to see if I can make that quilt with that fabric. Have learned that if the colors/fabric is wrong, it'll end up in the UFO pile. I hate, hate working with wrong colors/fabrics.Odd...but that's me.

Originally Posted by quilting cat
    I have a half-done project for which I wish I'd measured the first block. It is quilt-as-you-go and everything came out smaller than the pattern called for -- I'll need an extra row to get my size!
    Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I will from now on... If I had made a sample block of the ugly quilt I am making, I wouldn't be making it. It is all cut out, so I don't have any other option than to finish it. I know the reasons it is ugly to me though. #1 It is too dark for my taste. #2 There isn't enough contrast for my taste. I just hope someone will fall in love with and just have to have it. HOPE! HOPE! HOPE!
    Send up a picture - I AM SURE it is not half as bad as you think. I find that depending on my mood depends on whether i like the colouring or not - same as clothing i wear, sometimes bright and other days dark. Maybe this will help make you feel better :-) hope so
    Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting cat
    I have a half-done project for which I wish I'd measured the first block. It is quilt-as-you-go and everything came out smaller than the pattern called for -- I'll need an extra row to get my size!
    If the blocks ended up the same size, and you have enough fabric to complete the project - life is still good. :)
    Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by knlsmith
    I may draw out on paper where I want colors to be on a difficult block, but for the most part.... I like to jump in by the seat of my pants and let the Quilting gods do what they want. More fun that way.
    Yes, that's what I usually do. I tried back in the summertime to make a table runner by graphing it all out. I couldn't get the design to suit me and ended up never making the runner. Kinda glad I tried graphing it out; but also feel I wasted a lot of time. I guess I should have known it wasn't going to work out to begin with. I haven't tried making anything too complicated yet; haven't had the nerve to try HST's or anything with a lot of triangles. I guess I am afraid of getting discouraged half way through and not finishing. I hate UFO's.
    HST= take a square, mark on back diagonally. Take another contrasting fabric square, same size. Put right sides together. Stitch 1/4" on each side of diagonal line. Cut on diagonal line. Open and press toward dark fabric. Then you have your HST.
    Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    I always make a sample block to make sure that I will like the final result. I have often changed my colour placements as a result. It is also to check that the instructions are correct. I also make an extra block from every quilt I make. Someday, I will sew them all together into a sampler which will be a wonderful record of all of the quilts I have made! It is also a great way to decide which way to press my seam allowances.
    Love your blue merle collie. We use to raise collies.
    Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 PM

I've only ever made one sample block. Not sure why. I've never had a problem with my blocks not matching. The one sample block that I made is still just that. I've not made any more like it. Again, not sure why. But one day I hope to make more like it and put it into a quilt.
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Is it just cut out or partly put together already?

If just cut out...raid the stash or go shopping for a complementary fabric and switch out the pieces...two quilts (well no not for the price of one) of the same pattern but different colour combinations.

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I will from now on... If I had made a sample block of the ugly quilt I am making, I wouldn't be making it. It is all cut out, so I don't have any other option than to finish it. I know the reasons it is ugly to me though. #1 It is too dark for my taste. #2 There isn't enough contrast for my taste. I just hope someone will fall in love with and just have to have it. HOPE! HOPE! HOPE!
    :-P
    Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
    Power Poster

Afraid not. I know that I should.
    Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 PM

I always make a sample block to practice and see if the instructions are correct.
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Always - there have been times when I didn't love the way my colors went together the first time, and sometimes I'll swap around or out so I love it more. And count me as one of those who does it to work out how the seams will lie.