Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you multitask when quilting? >
  • Do you multitask when quilting?

• Do you multitask when quilting?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM

I get more sewing and quilting done by multitasking. I can't sit for over an hour at a time or else my knees get so stiff from my arthritis that I can't stand up, so I do a little at a time once I do get up, throw in a load of wash, fold it later, wash the dishes, etc, and return to the quilting each time I do a task. The return to sewing is then what I consider my reward for getting a little bit done around the house, and it removes the guilt trip I have otherwise for doing nothing more than just playing all day, otherwise known as quilting/sewing.
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM

When I sew/quilt, I sew/quilt. I call anything that gets in my way and interuption! LOL Not that I haven't boiled stuff over or even dry on my stove while quilting, but I like to concentrate on just the quilt and I haven't figured a way to keep quilting and read this board at the same time. I would be more tempted to do that if they were in close proximity to each other. Thankfully they are not! So, one thing at a time!
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM
    Banned

I program my longarm, set it to quilt, then do either piecing, cutting, pressing. While also doing the laundry and on the computer! Yep, I multiple task.
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by Cagey
    I came home from work tonight and put a finished quilt in the washing machine, sewed some small pieces of a new project while waiting for the iron to warm up for another project I'm finishing. Wondering how many others multitask like this.
    I didn't know there was any other way to do things. Only non-mothers don't multi-task.
    Hey, give us "non-mothers" some credit! After 39 full time years as a Nurse Practitioner, I have plenty of experience in multi-tasking! And I know I was doing it well before entering Nursing School. I'm positive it's just part of my personality. And I'm still doing it, even though I'm only "Mummy" to two mini Australian Shepherds, Sunny and Paradise. (They really think they're my kids too!)
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Always multi-task. Don't think much would be accomplished if I didn't. Like everyone else, there is housework, yard work, cooking and laundry besides the sewing and quilting and everything related to church and community.

It is called efficiency or being pragmatic, right?
    Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM

I can't even chew gum and mulyi task.
    Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Absolutely
    Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me
    Sigh, I used to multi-task, but with age comes tunnel vision. If I try to multi-task I get side tracked and never accomplish anything. One thing at a time...one foot in front of the other...yep, that's the way I do things any more. :roll:
    I'm with you on this! I used to come home from work, correct papers, help 5 kids with homework, get dinner, do laundry all in the same hour and half at the same time. Now I'm in my 70s and don't have to do all those things. I quilt and saint dh cooks and cleans, so I'll get in my quilting and then we can go off and explore the US or the world which we love to do also.

I make one quilt at a time. I'll read QB (obviously) during break times (and too much with my morning coffee!!!!) but I figure I haven't got a life time ahead of me to finish quilts, so I finish each one before beginning another. Heck, I keep trying to organize my quilt tools and still find myself looking for the dang things..... DH is a material-buying pusher. When I say I won't live long enough to use what I have he says, "well, it won't matter, will it?" I've run out of room and haven't bought anything since my birthday bash in August (oophs, is this only Sept?).
    Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM

I find that if I sew/quilt too long with no break I end up in a lot of pain. I have the same result if I do too much housework.

So I compromise. I set the dish washer up and the clothes washer and then stitch until the buzzers go off. I'm in the same room as the buzzers. I alternate so I can finish housework, stitch/quilt and handle the 4 kids (3 boys and a hubby) and still have accomplished SOMETHING at the end of the day. Of course, it helps my pain a ton if I keep changing what I'm doing.
    Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM

When I quilt, I don't multitask - I have to be totally focused on the job at hand, or I screw things up....but that's just me.

FREE Quilting Newsletter