Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you quilt over the 1/4" narrow folded inside border? >
  • Do you quilt over the 1/4" narrow folded inside border?

• Do you quilt over the 1/4" narrow folded inside border?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Do you quilt over the 1/4" narrow folded inside border?

My quilt has a 6" outer border, a 1/4" folded border then a 2" border. Is it ok to do an all-over quilt design on top of that folded border? It is a very open sort of curved design? I'm using a groovy board pattern called Flutter Bys.
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM
    Power Poster

Is the folded border just a narrow band or is the folded border a 3-D border? If it is just a narrow band, then it's up to you how you want to quilt the top. If it is a 3-D border (like a flange) then quilting over it would defeat the 3-D purpose imo.
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with MadQuilter If you are after a 3D effect, then you don't want to quilt over it. If you added for a splash of color and don't care about if it remains loose or not, then go ahead. The problem you may run into with a panto is that the foot may catch the flange and flip it over so you would need to pay careful attention when you quilt over this area.
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM

I usually leave any folded over parts of the piecing/borders un-quilted. I have done the fold over borders, binding and triangles in the blocks or sashing. I will sometimes pull the triangles for a cathedral windows type and stitch that, but I don't stitch the narrow fold over because I like the 3-d look (since that is one reason I put it there).
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
    Power Poster

I have not made a border like that. The info you have gotten makes alot of sence.
    Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of these 'flanges', but they obviously didn't have the final quilting process in mind . If you don't quilt over them, I think they look 'messy' unless you SID right alongside. If you DO quilt over them, they can also look messy if the quilting isn't dense enough to hold the edges down - it looks like you forgot to stitch a seam. And as someone said, you have to be careful not to catch the flange and flip it.

If you are going to stitch over it with the pattern anyway, you may want to just topstitch it down, then it's both out of the way and all secured down so it won't look lumpy and bumpy.

Andi
    Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM

If they are loose, are they lint & crumb catchers? AndiR, you just might have something with the idea to topstitch it down. It was Eleanor Burn's Quick Trip Around the World. Thanks to all you Ladies that responded. If I leave the flange unquilted, then I would have to do a separate quilting pattern on the 6" border and on the 2" border than I do on the main body of the quilt because the Flutter Bys Groovy Board isn't adaptable to those two sizes. It would be quicker to stitch the flange down and do an edge to edge design to quilt.
    Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

usually folded or flange borders are not quilted over. otherwise why put one in?
    Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM

I have done them and quilted up to the flange, then did stitch in the ditch between the flange and the outer border. Then I did a pattern on the borders. It worked well. You just can't do an all-over pattern on the quilt. It makes Longarm quilting harder, I think.
    Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Lightbulb Which design to quilt the border pictures attached.......

Which design is best for the outer border? 1. The Popcorn 2. The Spiral. These are the wooden pattern boards. The Flutter Bys Groovy Board is the light colored plastic board. It will be used for the center of the quilt. I tried to take close-up photo of the fabrics in the quilt and a picture of the whole quilt. It sure was windy outside. Hope you can see the detail. Since there was so much gold metallic in most of the fabrics, I decided to use Superior's Gold Metallic thread for the quilting. I liked the openness and gentle curves of the Flutter Bys pattern which would off set the sharp edges of the blocks. The Popcorn and that Spiral are the only two patterns I have that will fit in the area of the outer border. As you can tell by my use of the boards I have not learned how to FMQ yet. This quilt will be a gift. I do not want to experiment on it. Your help and tips & or suggerstions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you..
    Attached Thumbnails 100_1223.jpg   100_1222.jpg   100_1221.jpg   100_1219.jpg   100_1217.jpg