Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you remember >
  • Do you remember

• Do you remember

Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Both of my grandmothers sewed but I most remember the one that quilted and us kids hiding under the quilt the ladies were working on and us hearing all the gossip that was "too old for our ears."
    Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 AM

i remember my grandma on the farm making rugs on a huge floor loom she had brought from sweden. i would sit under it (i was about two or three) and watch the shuttle fly, and be awed by the patterns forming. i remember sitting under the big suspended quilting frame at the "missionary meeting" every week or so, with my friend esther, watching the needles coming through the quilt, while our moms and the ladies talked about churchy stuff. (i have a photo of one of the missionaries, angie, in africa, showing off her quilt. it became "her door" on her hut, and allowed her just a bit of privacy, out in the bush.) i remember the treadle machine on the farm, too--and my grandma making that thing just fly. and recently, while cleaning out my dad's basement, i found the old farm quilting frame that used to hang from the parlor ceiling when grandma amalia would tie one of her big, thick wool batt quilts. the quilts, too, now live at my house, and i still love them. i blame her, in particular, for my loving quilts so much...

Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 12-04-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM

My mother was a wonderful seamstress. She made all of my clothes, her clothes, and my grandmother's. She made them on a treadle sewing machine for many years until she got an electric machine when I was about 11 years old. I used to love to watch her sew on the treadle. She also did sewing for other people. Mother never made quilts, but my grandmother and her sister did. We always had warm beautiful quilts. I didn't get interested in quilting until I was about 50, but I have been wild about quilting since then. I am thankful to have great sewing machines and tools to use.
    Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM

My memories of Mom and grandmom and Aunt go back to at least 3 years of age when my (then single) Aunt was staying with my Mom and made me an adorable little skirt with straps for Easter. I cant remember the top at all but the skirt was pink and white stripes and I loved it.
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM

My Mom couldn't even sew on a button. Bless her heart! When I had my hysterectomy in 2003 both Grandmas took turns babysitting me and they knew I'd have to have something to keep me busy and "good" for 8 weeks. My paternal Grandma brought boxes of fabric with her and we picked out what I wanted. Then she and my other Grandma sat beside me cutting out the maple leaf pattern and I'd sew the pieces together by hand. Didn't have a sewing machine in my house at that time. I had no idea how to quilt so had a group of local ladies do it for me. I look at it now and have to laugh because the stem of the leaves were attached by just a straight stitch and the corners of some blocks don't line up. Since then one Grandma has passed on and the other is in the early stages of Alzheimers (sp) so that quilt is even more special to me today. My family knows they can use any of the others in the house but not that one. That's mine and it sure holds a lot of love and special memories. Anytime I snuggle up on the loveseat with it, it's like my Grandmas have their arms around me.
    Attached Thumbnails quilt-001.jpg  

Last edited by KimS; 12-04-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Mom and both Grandma's sewed. One grandma's sister had a fabric store. Both Great Grandma's sewed too. I had a stash of my own at around 4 to 5 years old. Dad was in the Army and we moved around a lot. Mom quit sewing as much when we got older and she went back to work. I wasn't around people sewing a lot during my teenage years but it stuck with me I guess from my much younger years. If only I could find the pink fabric with the small white dots, swiss print I think it was called, that I had during my early years...
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM

I was never exposed to it as a child but I saw quilts and always wondered how to make them. I taught myself but I have never started a project without thinking how great it would be if I had my mom or someone in the family to call on for thier expertise.
    Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM

My Mom made most of my clothes. Beautiful dresses, red wool jacket and I most remember waiting for her to finish my red striped flannel nightgown. I was so soft and warm.I also remember my Mom sitting outside on the lawn on a quilt that she made. The kids in the neighborhood would sit and watch her sew and we would play. Wonderful memories about my Mom and sewing. I never could sew as good as her but I make some very pretty quilts. Back in the day my Mom made all her clothes buying from a store was for the rich.
    Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Mom made most of our dresses. Seven girls, so a lot of dresses, as the 3rd oldest, I wore a lot of hand-me-downs, pretty well worn out by my turn, so the 4th daughter got the new ones! I remember the fall ritual of opening the trunk and going through clothes that had been outgrown and put away. I remember in particular a blue dress with a gathered skirt, the bow in back, a stand up collar, another of purple nylon with the raised flocked dots, three tiers in the skirt. We had the old black singer until the '70's, when she traded it for a Bernina. I started in 4-H at ten, made tea towels apron and pot holders the first year, a pleated shirt waist dress the second, and a gown and robe set, a tailored wool suit I made my own wedding dress, most of my kids clothes. Spend most of my time quilting now.
    Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Mother learned to sew from the NYA (National Youth Administration) in the '30s. So she was sewing before I was born in 1944. She made all my and my sisters clothes. However she didn't have patience to teach us to sew and I didn't have any interest until I was married and had a daughter of my own. My MIL helped me learn, but I'm pretty much self taught. I sewed everyday for 12 years. Then I started working outside the home and gave up my sewing for 37 years. By the time I got back into it everthing had changed. The machines were computerized, machine needles were specialized, thread was many different sizes and types. Patterns that had cost 75cents now cost $12 (until I learned about the 1.99 special sales). I tried to make my clothes for a while, but my figure had gone from being tall and thin to being matronly and I couldn't seem to make the patterns fit. Now I think I want to quilt. I'm making a crib quilt for my g-graddaughter and I find I'm getting bored with the machine decorative stitch around the large squares. So I don't know if the bug will bite or not.

I have really enjoyed reading all your submitted stories. It makes me feel like I know you better. Thanks for sharing your sewing history.