Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you remember >
  • Do you remember

• Do you remember

Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 AM

My dad bought mum a singer sewing machine and made a table and drawers for it. She never used it and I can remember being the first one to play with it when I was about 7. I did all the repairs to clothing and made the curtains etc.(Glad there were no sewing police around at the time, but I don't think they were too bad..lol). My father's mother let me use her treadle when I visited her.
    Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 AM

My mom was always sewing so I started watching and learning at an early age. I was around 10 when I made my first "all by myself" dress. Her mom taught her but unfortunately my grandmom passed away before I was old enough to remember her.
    Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM

My mother and none of my aunts sewed other that a simple clothing repair. My mother did teach me to embroidery. However, my grandmother quilted by hand. I used to sit next to her as she cut out pieces (she mostly did wedding ring quilts) and as she hand sewed them together. I loved the quilt she made for me! Unfortunately she passed away when I was eleven. I named my cherished 201 handcrank after her. I didn't get excited about sewing again until I took Home Ec in the eighth grade (no longer taught in my school district ) I used those skills to make my own clothes in high school and even made my wedding dress! I still use those skills today in my quilting. I would sooooo love to have some of the quilts my grandmother made, but, alas, they ended up with a step mother. Long story, sigh....
    Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 AM

My mom was doing everything sewing, knitting, liquid embroidery - I really didn't get into sewing until home ec in school but I was involved in cross stitching (self taught) along with a lot of other hand crafts.
    Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Very interesting question. I actually don't remember "seeing" my mom, grandmother or aunt sew but I know they all did. My mom was big into home decor and was always doing pillows, curtains, etc. She even did a tufted headboard for her bed before it was the "in" thing. Although my mom never sewed clothes both my aunt and grandmother were very experienced seamstresses. All I know is when sewing was a required course as part of home ec growing, up I fought tooth and nail because I wanted to be in woodshop which wasn't allowed at the time.....lol.
    Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM

My Mother didn't sew that much. She did a little embroidery and repairs on clothes when they needed it. My first experience at sewing was home Ec. in 7th grade. I love the whole idea of it, but didn't really do too much till I was in my 50's
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM

I can't remember a time when my mother wasn't sewing. She made all of my clothes, and all of my dolls' clothes. We always had matching mother-daughter dresses for Easter. She had a mangle too and she sat itoning sheets and pillowcases while she watched her soaps. I liked to watch the freshly ironed sheets come out the other side and gently fold over and back on themselves. It was mesmerizing.
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:24 AM

"I remember my mom cutting fabric on the table and I would sit under it and I loved to hear the scrunching of the scissors on the table. "
    There you go, metal scissors on the formica kitchen table. That and wanting to work the treadle!
    Thanks for the memory!
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 AM

My mom used to sew clothes for us..3 girls...always dressed alike for Easter...complete with bonnets and gloves. She didn't though have the patience to teach me to sew. That I learned from my aunt who was an excellent seamstress...unfortunately she now has macular degeneration and no longer sews...she also made wonderful quilts...which I have one of....and treasure it so much!
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 AM
    Power Poster

Up until the day my Mom passed I don't remember a time that she wasn't sewing something for someone. I really miss my Mom, and having clothes that fit perfectly was a nice bonus too.