Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you "retire" at some point during the year? >
  • Do you "retire" at some point during the year?

• Do you "retire" at some point during the year?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Last summer was the first since I retired - I was too busy to sew anything. Retired in March 2012 and finally started sewing in September of 2013. I've enjoyed every minute of it. It will be interesting to see if I sew this coming summer. Right now we still have 8 inches of snow on the ground. If we do get enough moisture for hay then sewing will have to work around haying. Usually I do slow down in the summer but now I won't be in such a time crunch!
    Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM
    Power Poster

I quilt a while, crochet a while, rad a while, etc. notice there is not a lot of time for housework! ;-)
    Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 PM

It's funny how geography affects this topic: here in central AZ the weather is beautiful in the late fall, winter, and early spring. Now that it is April we have already had days in the 90s, with much hotter weather to come. That said, we kind of hide out with the AC on during the summer...no sense going out in 115-120 degree weather unless you have to. So I love quilting in the summer when we are hiding out in the air conditioning.
    Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 AM

I don't quilt much in the summer since we don't ac. I do like to work in my basement which is usually cooler. I also like to spend time outside since we usually have a great breeze during the afternoon. I may be teaching during the morning this year so I have the entire afternoon to do things. Last year the class I taught was mid morning to early afternoon. By the time I got home and had lunch I didn't feel like doing much and I didn't feel like I had the time in the morning to get into anything.

I am hoping to piece and machine quilt lap quilts for my neices and nephews for Christmas. I have a couple of tops made but there is still a number to be made.. I also have a lot to do to make the sewing room more usuable.
    Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 AM

I live on a small private island (beginning May till end of October) and leave my Janome 6600 at my winter house. Although I do have an older Pfaff on the island which is a great machine, between my vegetable garden and boating back and forth to work M-F,kayaking and cooking for as many as 14-20 of us family that live out there in the summer, I really don't have time for any major projects. We also run a summer business on the island. www.cabbageislandclambakes.com

Summers are just too short to not want to be outdoors and enjoying the scenic beauty of Linekin Bay.
    Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM

My quilts are made by machine from start to finish, so no I never quit. Finish one and start another. LOL
    Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM

I do take a break in the summer, just with quilting. The room gets so hot in there that you can't stand it. My sewing room always stays pretty good.
    Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM

I quilt during the summer in the air conditioning. Due to a medical condition, I can't tolerate heat any longer so being outside in the hot weather is just too uncomfortable. Having said that, I think I would still sew in the summer.
    Old 04-14-2013, 03:47 PM

I tend to work on smaller projects during the spring or summer. The one time I tried to hand quilt in the summer, I definitely regretted it. LOL
    Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 AM
    BMP

I dont do any sewing during the warmer months, I actually pack it all up and dont get it out again until after Labor Day.
    Its just too busy and nice out....winter has been really long this year and as soon as I finish the project I am working on I am cleaning and organizing my sewing room and will be done until fall ...