Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do You Sew... >
  • Do You Sew...

• Do You Sew...

Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 PM

No sewing during storms; always unplug the machine when not in use. Surge protector.
    Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I don't sew -- or cook, or wash dishes, or do laundry, or talk on the phone -- during electrical storms.............. because I'm usually snuggled in bed with a good book and the covers over my head!!

Jan in VA
    Old 10-23-2015, 02:18 AM

No I never sew during a thunder storm & I always unplug several things including my sewing machines
    Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 AM

If the problem is when you are in FL, call your energy company and get a power surge protector that fits in your electirc meter. There's no guarantee it will take care of your problem, but it should help. We have one, plus surge protectors inside the house on power strips for my machines. Another thing would be to have GFI outlets to plug into. If you are in an older house it probably doesn't have GFI outlets. You can replace the outlets with new GFI outlets easily. They are more sensitive to power interruptions. I sew during storms and have never had a problem. I do put my blinds down though. Just don't use your land line phone during a storm.
    Old 10-23-2015, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

Jim put a surge protector on my machine and the computer as well. I usually am not sewing during storms, as most of them seem to happen at night when I am in, or about to be in bed.
    Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM

I havehad to be replaced, but they saved the things pluged into them.y most expensive machine plugged into a power back up box. This was suggested by my dealer. I also have a whole house surge protector. The power strips may not be surge procetor, but do help. We had a major surge and it blew out the board on my clothes dryer, but the items in power strips were ok. Some of the strips
    Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Sorry the above is goofy, for some reason it mixed itself up.
    Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 AM

After losing a laptop, garage door opener, TV, and several other lesser valued things to a lightning strike, no, I don't do any of those things during a thunder storm. Everything I can reach the plug for gets unplugged. Not sure I'd even trust a surge protector to stop the "surge" caused by a lightning strike. My sewing machine gets unplugged any time I am not using it. Living in south Alabama, we can have a thunder storm pop up in an instant during the summer. I unplug everything before I leave the house during the summer.
    Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 AM

Nope. I don't even like to be on the phone during a thunder storm. About 20 years ago, when I was working in customer care for a well known company, a co-worker was on the phone during a thunder storm, just doing her job, when suddenly she quite literally was blown out of her chair. Lightning hit something and found it's way out through her phone and through her, and the chair she was sitting in. She or the chair must have been was grounded, maybe by the soles of her shoes, or perhaps the carpeting on the floor was rubberized. She was ok, no permanent damage. The phone wasn't as lucky.

I disconnect my sewing machines from the electricity so they will not be damaged by a power surge during a storm.
    Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Lightning and Thunder? In Silicon Valley?

Let's say it is not an issue.

tim in san jose
    Yea, we don't see a whole lot of Thunder storms South of Santa Barbara either.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!