Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you think I am being too hard on myself >
  • Do you think I am being too hard on myself

• Do you think I am being too hard on myself

Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 PM

If you are tying it... put a tie on the places that don't match up...problem solved...who's going to "look under the ties"?
    Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
    Banned

if you are uncomfortable with it then make it right.
    Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 AM

The Amish believe there should always be a mistake in your quilts....although it would take a magnifying glass to find theirs. In my case my mistakes stick out like a sore thumb but I don't enter my quilts in shows nor care whether they are absolutely perfect or not. My quilts are quilts of love and intended to be used and worn out for the benefit of the person I've made them for. We all decide what we can live with and what we can't so that is really the question you must answer for yourself.
    Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 AM

for me, it usually depends on whether I determine the error will "come out in the quilting," as they say. I generally like to move forward, so long as the non-perfect section does not interfere with the appearance or workability of my quilt. I think, "okay... This can be my Amish Moment." (It's like my private EyeSpy quilt. lol...) My avatar was the first time I ever quilted (first two had been Tied.) It's loaded with errors that I didn't recognize at the time. I only saw the beauty. Thank goodness! (We surely can be our own worst critics... :-p )
    Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 AM

Your DH is totally right. I have yet to finish a "perfect" quilt, but I always add a lot of love to every one.
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I am in the process of making my 4th quilt. It's going to be a bagello. I noticed when I ironed the 4th row, that a few of my blocks are off just a smidge. You don't notice them from just looking at it, but, close up, I can see them. They are not off very drastically, and I am going to be tying this quilt. I was going to rip it all out, and my husband says "no one is perfect and no quilt is perfect". He also said that it is being made with love and following through and finishing is better then tossing it in a corner
    Your DH is right! It is being made with love, having said that, though if it bothers you, it's easier to do now rather than let it stew inside and then later take it back out. (ask me how I know this?)
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 AM

Thank you all for being so supportive. As I mentioned I do have a terrible habit of being hard on myself. Hubby measured the mistakes after I showed him, and they are less then 1/16th. I think, I am just going to let them go, rather then rip it all out. I did notice a very eenie weenie error in a few of the other rows.
    Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 AM

"Finished is better than perfect" and we are our worst critics.
    Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 AM

I just love how supportive everyone is in this group.My motto is that I do it my way and if I am happy then that is what counts.No quilt police here.Just helpful friendly support.
    Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    The only one who can truthfully answer this question is YOU yourself. If it bothers you, then you should rip it out and fix it. If it doesn't bother you very much, then let it be.
    We all make our own quilts, our own way. Know thyself and to thine own self be true!
    I aree. I've done several bargellos and it depends where they don't match. if it's a strip that haas a high contrast to the next, it might be more visible than two strips that are closer in value. But agree with StichingJoy - if it bothers YOU take it out. If you can live with it - don't bother. As you make more quilts, you'll soon come to realize what level of perfection you can stand.