Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use check lists when you go on a quilting retreat or sew days with your quilting friends so you don't forget anything? >
  • Do you use check lists when you go on a quilting retreat or sew days with your quilting friends so you don't forget anything?

• Do you use check lists when you go on a quilting retreat or sew days with your quilting friends so you don't forget anything?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 AM

I also would like the list to be categorized with like or used together items listed together. I take a little telescoping magnet with me.
    My favorite iron to take is a little travel iron that has a handle that folds down. It also has steam and can spray water. I got it for $3.00 at a flea market! I take my June Taylor cut and press, 2 functions in one board.
    Off subject a little, but when I go to my daughter's home to visit or help with the grand kids, i take some projects to work on, sewing, crocheting, etc. I also take a container of bobbins with a variety of different colors of thread I got at a yard sale. I can use them to either hand sew (really MEND) or for the top thread on her machine. It keeps me from buying a lot of thread I'll use just once in a while there. No, she doesn't sew or mend, the machine is for me to use when we are up there. I am planning on teaching her children how to sew. He 6 yr old son likes to make the sewing machine go. Her 4 yr old girl is learning how to sew by outlining the letters of her name in embroidery floss. Her first attempt is now a little pillow she stuffed after I sewed a border and back on to her embroideried piece.
    Thanks Karen for compiling the list.
    Janis
    Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM

You have a really good list started:

I didn't see THREAD on your list. As someone else commented, a camera.

A side item, cell phone.

Also, something that no one has mentioned up to now.

AND THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT !!!

Have a list of any allergies and your medications that you are taking, along with personal and family contact information. If something should happen while at the retreat, that is important information. Although others around my know you and of your family they may not know how to contact them.

During one recent retreat sponsored by our club, a member collapsed. She was diabetic and had other health issues. EMS was called. The members had to go back to her room to get her phone with contact information, so have this info on a sheet of paper and have it in an envelope. This can be attached to the inside top of a rolling bag, underneath your machine, etc.

At another recent retreat we had a member stumple and fall. They broke their ankle, which resulted in surgery a few days later. She was laid up for several weeks.

As a club or leader of an event, you might decide on one or two specific areas to keep this information. Then everyone would know where to look in case this information was needed.

I hope and pray that this information would never be needed at such a wonderful time of fun and friends.

Pam M
    Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Don't forget to take your laptop so you can check into the quilt board each day. Otherwise you would suffer from withdrawl. lol.
    Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 AM

I'm planning a quilt retreat in June and so I really appreciate this list that you have compiled for us. I will supply each of the participants with your list. Thanks so much for doing this.
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 AM

A check off list is a MUST for me ... I keep some retreat gear packed & ready in a tote, and other stuff I make sure to pack EARLY in the week before ... surge protector, camera, pillow, slippers, spare reading glasses, meds, a small flashlight. We've had power go out several times when bad storms hit
    and BE SURE to pack your foot pedal & power cord - you'll need those! Made that mistake ONCE :roll:
    Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM

I keep a spreadsheet on my computer for quilt related activities. It's a basic list and grouped by category. All I have to do is print out the list and add the specific supplies needed for the class(es) or project(s).

SEWING SUPPLIES
    pins
    scissors
    needles
    thread
    seam ripper

ROTARY CUTTING SUPPLIES
    cutter with new blade
    extra blades
    mat(s)
    ruler(s)

SEWING MACHINE / ACCESSORIES
    machine AND foot pedal
    machine manual
    assorted feet
    screw driver
    oil
    small brush
    extra bulb
    needles
    bobbins
    extension cord
    surge protector
    OTT (or other) light

CLASS / PROJECT SUPPLIES
    paper
    pen/pencil
    (for example)
    fusible
    spray starch
    pre-cut fabric
    books
    patterns
    compass
    protractor
    string

Other stuff:
    * dress in layers - some rooms cold, some very warm
    * digital camera with several sets of extra batteries
    * cell phone and charger
    * shopping list for completing UFO's, starting new project, stash building
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Do you think it is necessary for everyone to bring a mat for cutting? I was thinking of just bringing mine and letting the others use it. We're only going to be there for the weekend. Trying to keep everyone else from having to bring the kitchen sink.
    Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM

No, I don't think everyone needs to bring their cutting boards, but it is nice to have even a little one you can just tuck in to do small cuts if you need to. That's why I love my 'June Taylor cut & press', because it fits 2 different functions. I take it with me to my daughter's home and use it when I'm up there with my little travel iron. The two items always come in handy for me when I'm there.
    Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Yes, lists! I love them and use them frequently. I keep my extra sewing machine and supplies in a rolling case to take to retreats and in our camper, but I picked up several good ideas to add from here.

One thing I always take to retreats is a good cushion for the chairs! Or if I have room in the car, I take my own folding chair with padded seat and back. Nothing worse (to me) than sitting on a hard seat!
    Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM

I have almost everything packed for my retreat starting wednesday morning. Have made a list of what to get ready on tuesday and wednesday morning. Don't want to forget to do anything. Can hardly waite. I'm getting so excited about 5 glorious days of quilting. :) :) :)