Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use the free patterns the fabric manufacturers make available? >
  • Do you use the free patterns the fabric manufacturers make available?

• Do you use the free patterns the fabric manufacturers make available?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM

I'm like Jill. I have printed off several that I love at the time and I intend to use them--------------sometime.
    Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM
    Power Poster

I print off ones that I like, and put them in a binder for someday. I do not use their fabrics though~ I like to do my own colors.
    Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM

I've used a couple and/or have put in notebook for future projects.
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM

I've used many of the patterns, never with the fabric suggested, always with stash fabric. I've made improvisations on some of the pattersn, others, I've made just as is. I've found all that I've used to be well written and accurate. I love the manufactures sites!
    Oops! I stand corrected, I did make one from Marcus Bros. using the suggested fabrics, it was a repro line that I ordered from Keepsake Quilting and I had no idea how I was going to use it. I loved the pattern that Marcus Bros. had on their site, the only change I made was to add a couple of additonal borders to make it bed sized.
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Download them frequently but don't use the suggest fabric.
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM

I have a couple of notebooks with patterns I've printed. I always choose my own fabrics, though.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

I've used many patterns, but usually use my own choice in fabrics, unless I would happen to have it in my stash. I've gotten some great ideas that way.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Originally Posted by SueSew
    I like the looks of them, but ...

they often (Clothworks, Windham) end up using 12 or more different fabrics from the same line, which becomes expensive, especially for a relatively new quilter who might make a mistake on the layout/cutting.

sometimes they are less about a real pattern than a way to show off the fabrics. (Clothworks)
    I agree with you on this point! It's kind of unappealing for us, as a shop, to have to buy a whole bunch of similar, not-so-exciting coordinates from a line, just to have the all the fabrics to do up the pattern. What happens is that we sell through the "feature" prints (the interesting fabrics) and get stuck with the coordinates. And if we go back to buy more of the feature prints... they are usually unavailable by that time.

So I usually just order the feature prints for our shop, and maybe just one or two of my favorite coordinates. It's encouraging to read that so many folks shop their stash to fill in... because now I don't feel so bad about not ordering the full lines!
    Smart $$$ choice! I did a Windham fabric recently (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-137758-1.htm and I had to buy the fabric on-line (my LQS can't carry Windham due to distributors' agreements) and I had to go to several different sources including Ebay for one because e-shops were out or didn't carry what I needed. Maybe you can buy the whole line for wildly popular Moda? I think my LQS turns them into kits and jelly rolls or something sim.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    I've used some, and saved a hundred others that I haven't used. I haven't used their fabric though. Most times I like the pattern, but not the prints.
    ditto :thumbup:
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 AM

I have just downloaded a bunch of Jinny Beyers patterns ,I found them while searching for the Snake River Log Cabin quilt pattern, I have enough oriental fat quarters and off white material to do all but the red squares, I just had a birthday , my local quilt shop gives you 25% off on your birthday so I bought 3 yards of an oriental red for the red squares, I will make a king size quilt this winter from my own materials, I do not buy the kits or recommended materials , I just use my imagination :lol: