Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts? >
  • Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

• Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, I love hand embroidery in quilts. Below is one I made recently. I planned to do more, but my wish list is as long as my arm!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584160[/ATTACH]

Sorry it's sideways.
    Attached Thumbnails img_2453-medium-.jpg  
    Old 11-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Love your baskets Sewbizgirl! I think 30's fabrics fit right in with embroidery. Good job!
    Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 PM

I'm a slow hand embroider, but my sis is the Embroidery Queen, cranking out difficult pieces in no time at all. I get to quilt them! check out Crabapple Hill designs and also google "embroidery witches quilt"--one of her recent finishes that is waiting until after my Christmas rush to quilt. Here's one she calls mason jar flowers but think the actual name is Farm House Flowers. (can't remember the designer)[ATTACH=CONFIG]584178[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails p1040751.jpg  
    Old 11-21-2017, 09:05 PM

jillmc-thank you. The other two are much prettier than mine, but that's OK.
    Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Yes, I love hand embroidery in quilts. Below is one I made recently. I planned to do more, but my wish list is as long as my arm!
    Oh my gosh! This is just gorgeous! I've been working on some 'patriotic' embroidery. I've been on the lookout for quilt patterns that either have alternate blocks or large centers that could hold embroidery.

One thing that has me hung up though is that when I cut the fabric for the embroidery, it was a straight set square, not an on-point square so I'm not sure if I could frame them like you did. Maybe the squares I cut are big enough, but I kind-of doubt it.

Did you just cut the background large and trim a bunch? Or did you cut them on point to begin with (i.e. before you did the embroidery)?
    Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn
    I also like to do hand embroidery, here is a wall hanging I am working on finishing. Not the greatest picture, but the other blocks have flowers in yellow. And here is a link to a BOM that I really want to do, it is so pretty. http://needleknowledge.com/free-patt...work-bom-quilt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584159[/ATTACH]
    This is lovely!! I've been thinking of a rail fence type quilt with alternating embroidery blocks in patriotic/reproduction type of fabrics.
    Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584160[/ATTACH]

Sorry it's sideways.
    Bonnie I had just finished looking at some on Pinterest. Yours is the prettiest I have ever seen. Those fabrics go so perfectly with the hand embroidery you did. Just wow!
    Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 AM

Such pretty quilts! Love them all! The mason jarquilt is so delicate...i think I need that pattern for one of my DIL’s...they are restoring a 120 yr old farmhouse.....
    Old 11-22-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy
    Oh my gosh!
    Did you just cut the background large and trim a bunch? Or did you cut them on point to begin with (i.e. before you did the embroidery)?
    Kristi, I am not the maker of this quilt, but i would cut the embroidery squares a few inches larger than the pattern requires, transfer the embroidery design onto the block with the fabric on point, and then trim the square when embroidery is complete. I find doing embroidery “shrinks” the blocks a bit. And i fuse a very light interfacing to the back of my fabric first- helps hide any stray embroidery thread tails....
    Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc
    I love to relax and hand embroider-mostly redwork type patterns. But I don’t know how to incorporate them into quilting projects. I have used a few to make pillow covers. When I search pinterest, etc, I see alot of embroidery mounted in hoops. But I am hoping to be a little more adventurous. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I make most of my baby quilts with baby designs using hand embroidery. I stamp them on 9 or 10 inch squares, allowing for the seam allowances, and trim them down to 9.5 inch squares when done. I use mostly Aunt Martha Designs, which are very old designs, sold at Walmart. They make pretty quilts and the ones which I have gifted were very much liked and appreciated. It's a shame that hand embroidery is slowly dying away. I love to do hand embroidery, also.