Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts? >
  • Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

• Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

Buddy'smom here on the quilt board has done many beautiful hand embroidery designs into quilts. I love her work.

I have done a few and it is a challenge to chose the setting. That is if I don't start out with something in mind. But I tend to set them very simply.
    The ones that have been shown are lovely.

I like them because they are sentimental and sweet. I don't think I have any in my pictures, but there have been many of them posted here on the board. Here is one of my favorites.

Snowman calendar wallhanging ....

Oh I forgot to tell you to check at bunnyhill.com too. They are such cute quilts.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-22-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    Old 11-23-2017, 03:39 AM

Sewbizgirl--- love your flower baskets! I have pattern too, finished all the baskets, now collecting fabs for setting...you have inspired me!
    Old 11-23-2017, 03:58 AM

Mini barn- thanks for the site for the redwork...love doing that...btw, in case others interested, the book she mentions which is out of print--- I found on Amazon for $1.75 + S&H, in case interested....
    Old 11-23-2017, 04:42 PM

I have a quilt top which I assembled from state flower blocks embroidered by my 90 year old aunt, probably 30-50 years ago -- I really don't know, and she has Alzheimer's Disease now. Her embroidery is just beautiful. I can do pretty good embroidery, but my patience to deal with it long term is limited, as well as I have had vision problems , which I anticipate have been resolved by cataract surgery 2 days ago. The blocks are really gorgeous (I can say that because I didn't do the embroidery! lol!), and I think it's going to be a beautiful quilt when finished. I've also made a bed skirt with white background and border of the same calico as the sashing/borders of the quilt, and pinch-pleated drapes bordered with the same calico, and a valance entirely made of the same calico. My aunt also made an embroidered Presidents Quilt. She made photocopies of photographs of U.S. Presidents from Washington through Clinton, from which she made her embroidery pattern. It's all done in black and white, using metallic embroidery thread for eye glasses. I really need to get some good photographs of this quilt.
    Old 11-23-2017, 05:53 PM

I made this one in flannel. Love using embroidered squares
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]584247[/ATTACH]

This was a wall hanging
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]584251[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails boys-brownwork.jpg   beach-girls-wall-hanging-smaller.jpg  
    Old 11-24-2017, 03:48 PM

Sewbizgirl.....I am working on the same pattern. I love it, great job!
    Old 11-24-2017, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have 2 ongoing embroidery projects that I take with me on trips: one for a baby quilt with vintage baby animal designs and some fun patriotic ones.
    Old 11-25-2017, 01:00 AM

I am hand-piecing a Half Square Triangle Variation quilt from Red Pepper Quilts for my daughter. It is a very belated baby blanket as she just turned 17. I love to embroider, especially wording. I stitched her birthdate, time, weight, a favorite bible verse, etc. onto squares that I incorporated into the quilt and I'm very happy with how it is turning out.