Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • do you use this quilting tool? >
  • do you use this quilting tool?

• do you use this quilting tool?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    Good point; women generally stop sharpening, when the pencil is sharp.
    hahahaaa So very true. Wish I could get my hubby to cut, but he would end up trying to take over and I would have to tell him make his own
    Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

If your sharpener is electric then it would be saving more resources to buy new pencils instead of sharpening the old. A lot of recycling really uses more resources to recycle then it saves.
    Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 AM

He's not being wasteful! LOL
    Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    If your sharpener is electric then it would be saving more resources to buy new pencils instead of sharpening the old. A lot of recycling really uses more resources to recycle then it saves.
    Alas, it is me-powered, not electric.
    Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Funny, my husband also hands me the pencils to sharpen. He doesn't have the excuse your DH does but I think that he also knows, Women do it so much BETTER than men. Shhhhh don't share that secret knowledge with men. We don't want them to be as smart as we are...just stronger than we are so they can open jars whose lids seem permanently attached.LOL

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    The pencil sharpener is in the cellar, he only goes up and down stairs once a day since he had a stroke. Besides, women do it so much BETTER than men, you know, we have the secret knowledge....
    Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
    If it works for him, it works for me! I wish I had someone to do the cutting..that is my most hated part!
    To have someone to share your hobby with is beyond wonderful! I wouldn't care how he cut fabric or how many short pencils he saved.....and clearly you don't either; your post is affectionate and proud! Good for you! And for your DH!
    Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM

my husband was a carpenter, and always loved his short pencils because they fit in his shirt pockets and woultn't fall out like the big ones, I gave him a small hand powered sharper all his own.....put it in his casket so he would always have sharp pencils no matter where he was.... I miss him
    Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924
    To have someone to share your hobby with is beyond wonderful! I wouldn't care how he cut fabric or how many short pencils he saved.....and clearly you don't either; your post is affectionate and proud! Good for you! And for your DH!
    I have a friend who also keeps pencils until they can no longer be sharpened, so this normal to me. You can also tape or rubberband two together to mark your fabric and the lines will be 1/4 inche apart.
    Your husband is a true keeper.
    Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
    Funny, my husband also hands me the pencils to sharpen. He doesn't have the excuse your DH does but I think that he also knows, Women do it so much BETTER than men. Shhhhh don't share that secret knowledge with men. We don't want them to be as smart as we are...just stronger than we are so they can open jars whose lids seem permanently attached.LOL
    I swear...I will try for 10 minutes to open a lid. I will hit it on the counter. I will use one of those rubbery things that go around the lid to make it easy to open. I will hold it under water and alas, it will not open. I call my husband in, and with his thumb and first finger he will gently turn the lid and it will pop open. What is up with that? He seems to be like 100 times stronger than me. I even had him clean the bathtub out a little over a week ago because I figured out that since he was so strong, he could do it faster and get it so much cleaner...which I was totally right! Now, I am going to try to wean him in on some more housework that is hard for me, if he'll go for it. He seemed fine doing the bathtub. He was amazed at how much cleaner it looked after he got done with it. So, I think I will start him on the sinks next. What a guy.
    Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I swear...I will try for 10 minutes to open a lid. I will hit it on the counter. I will use one of those rubbery things that go around the lid to make it easy to open. I will hold it under water and alas, it will not open. I call my husband in, and with his thumb and first finger he will gently turn the lid and it will pop open. What is up with that? He seems to be like 100 times stronger than me.
    That is just because you softened it up for him first.