Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use sheets for backing? >
  • Do you use sheets for backing?

• Do you use sheets for backing?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM

yES I do. I like IKEA cotton sheets best but I don't have a store close & they aren't available on line. At the store you can get a single flat sheet-any size- & last time I was there, a lrg. was $13.00 I also go to thrift stores & look for ones in good shape. I also get some from family members & garage sales. Walmart's have changed & are crappy....so I don't use them anymore.
    Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana
    I use sheets as well. I don't buy new sheets though. I go to savers and Goodwill and see what they have. So far i've not been disappointed. I've also found silk sheets there for $3.00 for Queen size. Yea.....
    I have also found real nice flat sheets, they're not worn like fitted ones, at thrift stores for a couple dollars. Use them for wallhangings & lap quilts mostly, I can get more small quilts out of a good size sheet. Haven't had any problems with needles going through them. When my DD's were young I would buy kids print flat sheets on clearance where I worked, amazing how many things can be made from a twin size to decorate their rooms.
    Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM

I use sheets whenever possible..THe more money I save on the backing, the more fabric I can buy!!
    Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 AM

I have used sheets on occasion, but always wash them first.

Dayle
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 AM
    Banned

I've used sheets, used and new, when the quilt will be machine quilted.
    Did one years ago that I was hand quilting - what a nightmare - come to think of it, probably what brought on my carpal tunnel.
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 AM

I'm new to quilting, and have made several quilts. Each one had a different backing: used sheet; bleached muslin (pieced); fabric pieced together & 108" wide fabric (purchased on-line). I either machine quilted them or handquilted. They all turned out ok. No one complained/commented on what I used as backing. **Some people have told me to never use a sheet. But I couldn't get a good reason from them as to why not.

Have about decided quilting is a lot about expressing ourselves and enjoying the process. Whatever works for us, should be good enough.
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:53 AM

I will use sheets on some of my donation quilts...I have 3 nice ones that I rescued from my Aunt and Uncle's home before they were torn up for rags. They are King sized...and a very nice quality. My cousin is of the mind that if they don't have a bed that size anymore, they don't need the sheets...so he started tearing them up for rags for the car.
    Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal
    I'm new to quilting, and have made several quilts. Each one had a different backing: used sheet; bleached muslin (pieced); fabric pieced together & 108" wide fabric (purchased on-line). I either machine quilted them or handquilted. They all turned out ok. No one complained/commented on what I used as backing. **Some people have told me to never use a sheet. But I couldn't get a good reason from them as to why not.

Have about decided quilting is a lot about expressing ourselves and enjoying the process. Whatever works for us, should be good enough.
    It's because sheets tend to have a higher thread count than quilting fabric and it stresses the needles and the machine when quilting. Some people say they don't have a problem with the needles going through the layers, but others have. And even if the needle does pass through, sometimes it has to pass through the thread instead of past it. I had thought of using them before, but the man who services my sewing machine advised against it since it not only stresses the needle, but also the machine. That's the reason why I don't. I'd rather spend a bit more to buy fabric meant for quilting, than to mess up my machine. I don't use a LA, though, I quilt on my home machine, so perhaps there's a difference? I really don't know how it would affect a LA, though I've heard that most won't quilt on sheets, at least in my area.
    Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal

It's because sheets tend to have a higher thread count than quilting fabric and it stresses the needles and the machine when quilting. Some people say they don't have a problem with the needles going through the layers, but others have. And even if the needle does pass through, sometimes it has to pass through the thread instead of past it. I had thought of using them before, but the man who services my sewing machine advised against it since it not only stresses the needle, but also the machine. That's the reason why I don't. I'd rather spend a bit more to buy fabric meant for quilting, than to mess up my machine. I don't use a LA, though, I quilt on my home machine, so perhaps there's a difference? I really don't know how it would affect a LA, though I've heard that most won't quilt on sheets, at least in my area.
    Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 AM

Hmm, apparently I submitted twice? Sorry!