Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine? >
  • Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

• Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 AM

I bought one over a year ago and I use it all the time. Saves me time , when I start a new quilt a wind about 4 bobbins, I love it.
    Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 AM

i used a coupn and bought one for my friend for Christmas,when they first came out. she didn't think it did a good job. maybe they have improved.
    i have a 6600, and don't think i need one. i can wind while i am sewing.
    i do love the janome prewounds though..it seems like the thread in the bobbin last a long time.
    i wonder what thread janome uses for these?
    Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 AM

I would like one but the price seems too high for me so I just make sure I have plenty of bobbins filled.
    Old 11-03-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by txstitcher
    I'm thinking about asking for a Side Winder Bobbin Machine for Christmas, but am wondering how practical they really are.

Do you use one?

Michelle
    I have had one for about two years now and love it! I fill up the bobbins, put them in a plastic prescription bottle (fits perfectly) and am ready to do a quilt. I also have prescription bottle that I put the empty bobbins in and when it is full, I just take a breather and refill the bobbins. As I was told when it was demonstrated to me, put the batteries in it, but use the plug. It puts a little weight on the the Sidewinder. I would love one as a gift, if I didn't have one. I have had no trouble or problems with it. Also, if you change your mind, another fantastic gift (from JoAnn's with the 40-50% off coupon) is the Quilter's FabriCalc. I can figure everything out from the amount of fabric I need for the top, how many blocks, how big of the blocks, how much batting, how much sashing, border, and backing all in one swelled foop or is that felled swoop!!!! Two great gifts.

If I put my index finger under the winding bobbin, I can get it to wind up straight (can't explain right, but I know what I mean), so the bobbin thread isn't all wonky!

What would life be like if we didn't have a new gadget now and again. Even a magnetic telescoping wand that picks up my pins off of the floor is super - got that at Harbor Freight for a dollar, I think! Edie
    Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 AM

I'm thinking about asking for a Side Winder Bobbin Machine for Christmas, but am wondering how practical they really are.

Do you use one?

Michelle
    I just don't get it. Why buy something you already have, a bobbin winder on your machine? I wind several bobbins of thread before I ever start sewing my project. I have Viking machines, and my dealer told me those bobbins won't work on the bobbin winder machines anyway. But I just don't understand why anyone would need one. My machines do a great job of winding and fast.
    Old 11-03-2010, 03:58 AM

It didn't work for my Viking.
    Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Do you use one?

Michelle
    I just don't get it. Why buy something you already have, a bobbin winder on your machine? I wind several bobbins of thread before I ever start sewing my project. I have Viking machines, and my dealer told me those bobbins won't work on the bobbin winder machines anyway. But I just don't understand why anyone would need one. My machines do a great job of winding and fast.
    I have one because I can rewind and sew at the same time. My machine does not do that. And, mostly, it is wear and tear on the sewing machine and something that I'd rather not use anyhow. It is so much faster this way, the grandkids can help, (if they like), I can take a breather and wind thread. In the long run it is faster to wind ten-twelve bobbins on the Sidewinder (at one time) than to take the time out to rewind a bobbin on the sewing machine. I guess it is a matter of what a person is comfortable with. I like that little Sidewinder, it works, it saves me time, I am saving wear and tear on my machine (maybe), and it's my party! My quilt - my rules. That's what makes it so much fun! Edie
    Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 AM

I use mine all the time. I wind several at a time.
    Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 AM

I use mine because it is easy.
    Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 AM

I love mine, it didn't work for me the first time I used it, but then I read the directions and it worked great. I have a Kenmore and a Brother, they each use a different bobbin and it works great for both. I like mine so well that when I found it at Walmart on the clearance aisle (they were doing their rest) I bought a second for back up lol