Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use spray adhesive for basting? >
  • Do you use spray adhesive for basting?

• Do you use spray adhesive for basting?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 PM

I have used the June Tailor basting spray on both poly and cotton. It was great on both battings, buy I found working with poly was easier. Just be sure not to stretch your batting as you lay it over the back. I think that is what I did on my last baby quilt and when the batting went back to normal it was stuck to the backing and the backing was wrinkled. The good thing though, is that I could pull the backing loose, smooth it out and it would restick. I use pins around the edges.
    Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
    Power Poster

soak and spin the water out of your quilt twice when done quilting it. to remove the basting spray glue.
    Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Dh and I use 505. You can layer it and leave it for weeks before having to quilt it. Dh's 3 quilts are waiting for him to learn to quilt once we have a free weekend for me to show him how to set up his walking foot.

We have not used the bed or floor to put them together. One of the members from this board showed how she uses the wall. It worked great for us.
    Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 PM

505 is probably the best. Don't have a heavy hand
    Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM

I use exclusively 505 spray and cotton or bamboo batting. I have tried pinning and a basting gun, but this method is the easiest and fastest IMHO. I also made my own frame out of 1" x 2" x 8' pieces of wood clamped together at the corners and then I stretch my backing across and use large binder clips to hold it before layering the batting and top for spray basting. Works great!
    Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    There are a lot of threads on this topic. Try using the "search" option above to find them.

My tips are as follows:

Spend the money on 505 -- works better than other brands and does not stink up the area. Whatever you use, plan on having great ventilation. Some people do it outside!

Primarily cotton batting adheres best, but many people use poly battings successfully. (I use cotton almost exclusively.)

I heavily starch the backing fabric before layering. (This can be a problem if you are using poly batting, as it can reduce adhesion.) Heavy starch on backing and top reduces puckering because it stabilizes the fabric. (Actually, this tip applies to any type of basting for machine quilting. Would not do it if hand quilting.)

Lay out the largest flat sheet you have to catch any overspray.

Layer backing first, then batting. Once batting is centered on backing, fold back top half of batting, spray that half, then smooth back into place. Repeat with other half of batting. This is *much* easier than spraying the whole thing first and then trying to center the batting.

I do the same thing with the top.

Spray from edge towards center to minimize overspray.

Some people do the spray basting on their bed. So far I have preferred using very large tables (in a community center), clamping the backing fabric to the table to ensure smoothness (but not tight).
    Great tips. I try to spray outside on the picnic table. I figure the overspray will wash off in the next rain.

Be careful to not spray too heavily. Too much is gummy. I have used pins along the edges, to keep backing from turning under on me.
    Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 AM

I buy whatever spray adhesive is on sale, lay out an old sheet, lay my layers, peel back half the top, spray the batting then lay it back down (like I'm wallpapering) then do the same for the other side of the top, flip the quilt over and repeat...maybe it's me but the odor has never bothered me on any spray I've used. I find the spray works great and no puckering. Good luck
    Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 AM

Have only used 505, but highly recommend it.
    I was advised to spray in a grid pattern - methodically east to west and then north to south - rather than sorta willy-nilly. If you spray with a 'plan' you'll know you got all areas covered. And not every inch needs to be coated with spray - a little goes a long way.
    Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 AM

Great suggestions from "PRISM99" I use 505 and have had good luck with it. I bought a case of the large cans on ebay for about $11/can with free shipping. Sounds like a lot of $ but can price per case was cheapest from this seller. Originally I got several small cans from Connecting Threads to try and like it. I have not been able to find 505 in any store locally.
    Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Use it all the time, Lay the back, batt and top in place, Fold back the top half way, just spray "lightly" onto back of the top and the batting (be sure to get to the edges and wait a minute or so) Fold in place and rub your hand over it to get it to stick. Fold the other half and repeat the process. Turn it all over and repeat on the batting side. Leave it dry for at least 15 - 20 minutes before moving. I have done queen size quilts and it holds together wonderfully. Just remember to spray lightly.