Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use surge protectors? >
  • Do you use surge protectors?

• Do you use surge protectors?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM

I use a surge protector with a battery back up system on my sewing machine. My machine is computerized, so I was told this was the best thing to do.
    Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM

I live in the Lighting Capital (Central Florida) I have my entire house on a surge protector thru my utility company, it's worth $5.00 extra a month and if it don't work the electic company will replace all items hooked up.
    Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Yes! We have them for the computer, TV and especailly my sewing machines. If we get a warning on the local news about big thunderstorms moving in, we'll unplugg things.
    Old 08-20-2009, 01:00 PM

How do tese surge protectors look like and where can u get them?
    Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 PM
    Power Poster

We have a lot of power surges and outages, so I have big, office type surge protectors...three of them.
    1 - sewing machines, and I unplug them, when done sewing
    2 - computer and monitor
    3 - hubby's med. equipment

I would like to have one on my stove and refrigerator, but can't afford to buy them right now. I had a motherboard ruined by surges in past, and the maintenance person reccommended these heavy duty s. protectors. They cost on average of 40.00 -50.00, but well worth it. They usually last at least 3 years.
    I lost a really nice stove for the same reason, and hubby picked this one out, while I was too sick to go look at them. Neither of us, care for the el cheapo, stove. Spend the money, to protect your machine!
    Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 PM

this is not to imply that sp's aren't necessary, but did you know that anything lost is covered by homeowner's insurance, i believe. also, i keep downloading to cd's just in case. can't hurt, right?
    Old 08-20-2009, 07:15 PM

We live out in the countryside, and get a lot of power "blips" and short disruptions, as well as thunderstorms with lightening. My sewing machine is on a power bar with a fuse, and we unplug the computers (we use laptops) during bad storms and whenever we go away for more than a few hours. Apart from that, we don't worry too much about power surges. We have a tall antenna with our wireless internet dish on the top - that's what's most likely to get hit by lightening, and our internet provider would replace the dish if it did. The antenna tower is very well grounded.

Jan
    Old 08-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ai731
    We live out in the countryside, and get a lot of power "blips" and short disruptions, as well as thunderstorms with lightening. My sewing machine is on a power bar with a fuse, and we unplug the computers (we use laptops) during bad storms and whenever we go away for more than a few hours. Apart from that, we don't worry too much about power surges. We have a tall antenna with our wireless internet dish on the top - that's what's most likely to get hit by lightening, and our internet provider would replace the dish if it did. The antenna tower is very well grounded.

Jan
    aha! that makes a difference. here in central new jersey, there are lots of taller buildings close by. we're nowhere near the tallest thing around. if lightning struck close by, it would be attracted to a tall, metal thing (we also have a dish and an old-fashioned antenna on a tall pole in the ground). in my town, that would be any number of schools, the municipal building, the library, the Y, many office buildings, banks, etc. my house is a low ranch. i've never heard of anyone near here who ever had any trouble. in the country out in the open it would be very different, i'm sure. i will however get some strips for my machines.
    Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Yes, I use a surge protector, but I always unplug my machine when I am done sewing for the day. I'm taking no chances with my 730. Tho, now that i think about it, would the insurance cover lightening strike burn out..........maybe I could get a 830, or whatever it is. :twisted:
    Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM

i'm pretty sure it would.