Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do You Want Directions for Multiple Sized Quilts Included in Price Of Patterns? >
  • Do You Want Directions for Multiple Sized Quilts Included in Price Of Patterns?

• Do You Want Directions for Multiple Sized Quilts Included in Price Of Patterns?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 AM

I'd much rather the designer did the math than for me to try to make an off-size quilt fit a king-sized bed. Another peeve is that designers are no longer even designing with bed sizes in mind. In magazines it's either lap quilt or a sofa quilt or a large wall hanging. None of those have specific or uniform measurements. Not true of all designers but enough to be annoying.
    Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Great thread! As a pattern Designer I will start to revamp my patterns and include the multiple sizes for the quilt patterns. But to answer a few statements here, printing in color is not cost effective as many designers self publish. Think about the cost of your color ink for an ink jet and then laser printer. Hundreds of dollars for a large run. Add in the cost of the paper, the plastic bag, the copyright if you purchase one, for each pattern it is $15.00. Many big designers have that to spend, not a small designer. The mulitple size quilts add to the time spent designing the quilt pattern. I will have to do the math, write the extra facts into the pattern, send the pattern for written proofing. Send the pattern out for actual making! Make all the sizes I am writing into the pattern. Try to find room on the pattern back to list all said sizes. It is not easy to write quilt patterns. Think of it as Trying to explain how to make egg salad from starting with the raw eggs. I am not complaining as I actually love to design quilts. I used to hate the writing part. But I am now enjoying it. As I said before I will revamp my patterns and include all the sizes. BTW I do add the Bed Runner(Scarf) patterns as my Flowing Flowers Bed Scarf was first published in Quilters Home magzine several Summers ago. I love designing Bed Scarves and have a few new patterns ready to go. Should I also write the changes for all the bed size quiltsinto it? Thank you again for all the great responses. I truely love this board! Luann
    Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm horrible when it comes to math. Addition, subtraction, multiplication,etc. I can't do it. I can't make up patterns. I can only make quilts using a pattern. So, if it has only one size, I have to do that size. I run into this problem a lot. So, I make the size the pattern is. I choose the pattern I like. If I'm lucky, they have different sizes. Not always. Wish they did. I am envious of all of you who are math wizards. I never took anything but basic math in high school. No algebra for me. I could not of understood it. My brain isn't wired that way. I get a headache when I try and do math. But I'm not a dummy. I read books constantly. I love computers. I can't change a recipe because of stupid math. What's half of 3/4 cups? I don't know. I don't know how to figure that out. So I make the whole recipe for two people.
    Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
    Onalee, may I recommend books by Donna Poster. She has one book (not in my possession right now) which does all the math for you. Charts, yardages, etc. I ordered mine on Amazon.
    Carolynjo ~ Because of your recommendation I went to Amazon and found this book with shipping under $5...the reviews were much like your recommendation so I should have this most useful book sometime this month....Definitely looks like what a math challenged person like myself needs! :0)

Thank-you so much for telling me and others on the forum to take a look! :0)
    Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=crafterrn1;5429103]Great thread! As a pattern Designer I will start to revamp my patterns and include the multiple sizes for the quilt patterns. But to answer a few statements here, printing in color is not cost effective as many designers self publish. Think about the cost of your color ink for an ink jet and then laser printer. Hundreds of dollars for a large run. Add in the cost of the paper, the plastic bag, the copyright if you purchase one, for each pattern it is $15.00. Many big designers have that to spend, not a small designer. The mulitple size quilts add to the time spent designing the quilt pattern. I will have to do the math, write the extra facts into the pattern, send the pattern for written proofing. Send the pattern out for actual making! Make all the sizes I am writing into the pattern. Try to find room on the pattern back to list all said sizes. It is not easy to write quilt patterns. Think of it as Trying to explain how to make egg salad from starting with the raw eggs. I am not complaining as I actually love to design quilts. I used to hate the writing part. But I am now enjoying it. As I said before I will revamp my patterns and include all the sizes. BTW I do add the Bed Runner(Scarf) patterns as my Flowing Flowers Bed Scarf was first published in Quilters Home magzine several Summers ago. I love designing Bed Scarves and have a few new patterns ready to go. Should I also write the changes for all the bed size quiltsinto it? Thank you again for all the great responses. I truely love this board! Luann[/QUOTE Hi Luann!
    Thank-you for your comments from a designers perspective! Also for listening to what input others are saying. One size doesn't seem to fit all and some people are far more adventurous and creative than I. The old brain gears lock up when I try to envision changing a written pattern, some patterns are admittedly easy to add blocks to or take blocks away from the original pattern, but some patterns just need extra instructions.

Again, thank-you so much for adding to the discussion!
    Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM

I agree that there should be multiple sizes in the pattern...regardless of whether they are from yardage or precuts. We pay enough for them and it would make it easier on us (the consumer). It would also help selling more. I sometimes will pass up buying a particular pattern because the quilt is not the right size.
    Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Yes, I definitely want more than one size option!

The instructor who taught me to quilt asked me once why I kept signing up for her easy classes when, in fact, I could be teaching them. My response to her was, "I'm paying you to do the math, I don't have 5 people needing my all at once, and I get to play with my friends! It's a bargain!"
    Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM

I can do the math but when a quilt block is on point it makes it a lot harder. I am lazy I would rather have them do it for your if the block is on the point.
    Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM

I don't do the math. I just keep making blocks, adding sashing or borders to get the quilt to the size I need. There is a problem with this method. I once ran out of background fabric. Thank goodness for the Internet. I was able to find the fabric. Guess I'll have to start doing the math. I really would like patterns that included king and queen size.
    Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM

I think that would be GREAT! numerous times I've tried to enlarge a pattern and most of the time it doesn't work