Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you work on more than one project at a time? >
  • Do you work on more than one project at a time?

• Do you work on more than one project at a time?

Old 08-19-2018, 03:54 AM

I have several projects going at one time also. Currently there is two UFO that I can think of that are sitting behind me on the bookcase and one in the closet that I ran out of material for. We won't start in on the half squares I have going or the strips in the scrap bin. My room is 10 x 12 and that includes 2 windows, 2 small closets under the staircase and one pocket door for entry. Not a solid wall anywhere so have little storage space. I really need to downsize my fabric and then go from there. I just have to much stuff and not enough room.
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 AM

Last count I had at least 20 UFOs- some are partially pieced tops that I got bored with. I love quilting but am not a fan of piecing esp. if I am using a pattern and there are a few of those (a Bonnie Hunter, mini-spiderweb blocks, a Jacobs ladder and a Peggy Martin), but the rest are improvisational or art quilts that I Put aside after getting stumped on where to go next with them. Each month I finish at least one UFO- I go through the UFO box and pull out whatever calls to me and usually I find that a solution presents itself for solving whatever problem caused me to set it aside to begin with.

I also always have at least 6 active projects. Right now those are:
    1. My temperature quilt from 2017 that is in danger of becoming a UFO.
    2. A large collaborative art quilt that may be ready for binding but I’m still trying to decide if I want to add any more quilting to it.
    3. Another collaborative piece that Is in the same state. This one and number 2 are committed to a gallery show opening the 4th Friday in May 2019, so I’m not in a terrible hurry but do need to keep them moving forward.
    4. An art quilt that is basically a large whole cloth doodle quilt that needs a little more doodle quilting on or it may end up being a collaborative using some elements given to me by an artist friend.
    5. a 3 Year old UFO that I decided would be my 2nd August UFO finish- I’ll get it sandwiched today and start quilting.
    6. Another UFO that started out life at least 6 years ago as a spiderweb quilt- blocks got made but not put together, then last month I pulled it off the UFO pile and began doing some improvisational cutting and piecing with it. That will be my September UFO finish.

I also have a number of encaustic paintings that are in progress that I have to keep moving forward as they are committed to a gallery show that opens in 2 months....

So yes, I am one of those folks who always has multiple projects going at once... I refer to it as having CPB (creative pinball brain).

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 08-19-2018 at 04:11 AM.
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:12 AM
    Power Poster

[QUOTE=rryder;8113293]Last count I had at least 20 UFOs- some are partially pieced tops that I got bored with. I love quilting but am not a fan of piecing esp. if I am using a pattern and there are a few of those (a Bonnie Hunter, mini-spiderweb blocks, a Jacobs ladder and a Peggy Martin), but the rest are improvisational or art quilts that I Put aside after getting stumped on where to go next with them. Each month I finish at least one UFO- I go through the UFO box and pull out whatever calls to me and usually I find that a solution presents itself for solving whatever problem caused me to set it aside to begin with.

I also always have at least 6 active projects. Right now those are:
    1. My temperature quilt from 2017 that is in danger of becoming a UFO.
    2. A large collaborative art quilt that may be ready for binding but I’m still trying to decide if I want to add any more quilting to it.
    3. Another collaborative piece that Is in the same state. This one and number 2 are committed to a gallery show opening the 4th Friday in May 2019, so I’m not in a terrible hurry but do need to keep them moving forward.
    4. An art quilt that is basically a large whole cloth doodle quilt that needs a little more doodle quilting on or it may end up being a collaborative using some elements given to me by an artist friend.
    5. a 3 Year old UFO that I decided would be my 2nd August UFO finish- I’ll get it sandwiched today and start quilting. 6. Another UFO that started out life at least 6 years ago as a spiderweb quilt- blocks got made but not put together, then last month I pulled it off the UFO pile and began doing some improvisational cutting and piecing with it. That will be my September UFO finish.

I also have a number of encaustic paintings that are in progress that I have to keep moving forward as they are committed to a gallery show that opens in 2 months....

So yes, I am one of those folks who always has multiple projects going at once... I refer to it as having CPB (creative pinball brain).

Rob[/QUOTE

ive just started reading this thread - I don’t have much of a stash and usually finish what I start. But the thing that caught my eye is so have a friend who is an artist - doesn’t quilt - but I went to a demo where she showed the encaustic process - very interesting!!
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:31 AM

I do work on more than 1 project. I like to applique so I have that for when I watch tv. I nearly always have a quilt top in the works and sometimes I stop and do a mini quilt. Other times, I stop and clean my sewing area! Lol
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 AM

I'll have one on the quilt frame while my embroidery machine is working on another project, my sister will be binding one just taken off the frame, one is on the design wall and I've got 10 more swirling around in my head.
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:01 AM

I usually have a few going at a time. Right now I know I have 3 EPP projects going. I get to a certain point and lose interest, get excited about something new and start it... Lose interest , and go back to a previous one with renew energy.
    I aslo have a few machine pieced quilts in process... I like to have a leaders and enders project going, and also something pretty simple to bring to our monthly sewing group... Something that i can sew and chat at the same time.
    I have several tops that need backing and quilting. If truth be told, I probably have at least one quilt already basted and ready to quilt... just waiting for the inspiration for quilting.
    Summer is tough for me... The kids are home from school, and even though they are teenagers and very independent, I hate to hide away in the basement sewing when I could be spending time with them. In a couple weeks, they will head back to school, and I'll figure out how many UFOs I have and hit it hard again. I haven't finished a quilt since June when I had 2 grad quilts to do.
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 AM

My sewing room is starting to look like a hoarder lives there. I have way too many projects going right now. I am doing several BOM and an behind on all of them. My nice relaxing summer, ha ha didn't turn out that way. Things got a little bit crazy. Isn't this always the way things work out. Quilting is my stress reliever. At one point I was too stressed to sew. Several years ago I bought a pile of project boxes. I made a rule for myself that when they were all full I had to finish something and empty one before I could start something new. Ha that worked for a while. I don't want to know how many UFO's are in my room.
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:08 AM

Fun thread!

The answer is yes, yes, yes!

Although, I am working through UFO's this year. (And, in the process have actually finished a few new things from the scraps of the old things. lol)

I would like to get down to having less then 4 things going at once. And, preferably all old things being done. Is this even possible???

I guess I will keep trudging along.

Oh, and thank you NZquilter. I think I was the happy recipient of a few or your orphan blocks. (So cute, by the way.) That is the next quilt after my Patriotic quilt for our soldier on the list to finish up. And, no, these are not UFO's. They are new starts for 2018. Oh well, at least they won't become UFO's. lol

I am so thinking of moving on some of my orphan blocks to someone else as well. lol
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 AM

I can't do more than one project at a time, I get super stressed out when something is left undone and I start on something else. It's very annoying because even if I'm making lots of things for the same person (like little baby blankets or burp cloths) I have to get one done before I can do the next one. Sometimes I will be thinking about the next project and who it's for and starting to fabric shop or do some sketches but that's as far as I can go. I have a ridiculously big stash that nearly fills a walk-in closet though so I try to shop from my stash first and I've been letting friends shop in there too. I need to get it down to reasonable levels... I swear that I could win the gold medal at buying pretty fabric!
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Moving my quilting area from a lovely two bedroom apartment, to the upstairs in my house, made me sort and organize. In the threads on this board under UFO's and Fabric Moratorium, I started a "list" of my UFOs. I got up to 13 and found something else interesting to do.

I'll work on one until I come to a point where a decision needs to be made. Then I'll put that one down and work on another. Of course you all remember that crazy guy on Ed Sullivan with all the plates in the air?? I feel like him a lot. So much going on that you don't know what to do next. So you do nothing.

I had to move the long arm into the garage and wait until I could afford to remodel the garage to set it back up. So right now I'm just piecing tops. I'm participating in some swaps and having a great deal of trouble completing this winter one.

Now with this health scare, I may have to drop out.

If there is something here on this board that I want to do, I print it out and put it in a set of notebooks labeled Quilt Fun.

I'd love to see Iceblossoms' room. It might be messy, but it sound like an inspiration.

Marcia