Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is This doable >
  • Is This doable

• Is This doable

Old 12-25-2015, 06:06 AM

Pieced backs are lovely and especially so when it makes for a reversible quilt. One solution to getting them lined up would be to find the center of both the front and back and hand baste them across at that point. Then proceed to baste with favored method. I use Elmer's School glue. Therefore, I would glue the batting to either the front or back before basting through the center to line them up.
    Old 12-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Thank you. I kind of knew about the centering thing, just totally forgot about it. The reason I chose the bigger blocks was to try to avoid seams meeting on my 12 inch block quilt. But the brick work idea is a better use of my fabric. Thank you all for all the ideas.
    Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog
    Pieced backs are lovely and especially so when it makes for a reversible quilt. One solution to getting them lined up would be to find the center of both the front and back and hand baste them across at that point. Then proceed to baste with favored method. I use Elmer's School glue. Therefore, I would glue the batting to either the front or back before basting through the center to line them up.
    Old 12-26-2015, 03:29 AM

It seems to me that you will have two quilts in one when you are finished. I wonder if having a seam or two match up will cause a real problem when quilting. I don't think it would be like having ALL your seams match up. Be sure to post pictures when you have finished.
    Old 12-26-2015, 04:55 AM

I piece all of my backs. I use what is in my stash. My stash is out of control and I am trying to avoid buying any fabric. I usually make a back that is not a straight design. Put something purposely off center. That way when it doesn't end up perfectly straight on the back of your quilt no one can tell. Also if you do all the same size block when you trim your edges it will show. I often loosely copy a simple modern quilt for my back. google quilt backs or modern quilts for ideas.
    Old 12-26-2015, 05:11 AM

Here's a trick I use to get my backing straight with the front when I glue baste but it would work with pinning and thread basting as well.

First piece your back making sure it is larger than the front but a few inches all around. Pick a seam that is going to be your reference point somewhere near the middle third of the backing. Tape drinking straws or unsharpened pencils along the seam on the right side of the fabric. I use painters tape to do this. When I glue baste I do this after I glue the batting onto the backing. If you were pin or thread basting you would do it before you sandwiched the three layers together.

Next, with right side of the backing facing down, layer your top on (or if you are pin or thread basting your batting, and top). You will be able to feel where the seam is thanks to the straws/pencils. Match this up with a straight reference point on the front of your quilt. Voila! your back and front are straight together and the quilting, especially if you use straight line quilting will look much better.
    Old 12-26-2015, 07:28 AM

That's a splendid idea and something I'll consider in the future...
    Old 12-30-2015, 03:35 AM

Thanks for all the great tips.