Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle? >
  • Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle?

• Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 AM

I just googled 3 1/2 curved needle and up came a whole bunch. I would send the link but do not know how to do it here but can send it to you in an email.
    Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 AM

I have had several of these needles--known as upholstery needles-- ever since I started sewing when dinosaurs still
    roamed !! I inherited them from my mother who used them in her slipcover making or upholstery mending. They are just perfect for quilt tying because I can control the "bite"
    it takes from the quilt layers--smaller for a baby quilt or larger as the quilt size enlarges. Assorted hand needles always included them years ago but I have never bought one since inheriting them. Recycle is not a new word !
    Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 AM

I have had several of these needles--known as upholstery needles-- ever since I started sewing when dinosaurs still
    roamed !! I inherited them from my mother who used them in her slipcover making or upholstery mending. They are just perfect for quilt tying because I can control the "bite"
    it takes from the quilt layers--smaller for a baby quilt or larger as the quilt size enlarges. Assorted hand needles always included them years ago but I have never bought one since inheriting them. Recycle is not a new word !
    Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 AM

This looks like some of my upholstery needles. I did not think to use it myself but the next time I tie a quilt I will be getting the curved needle out to use. I have been using straight yarn needles with the big eye but the curved needle would be sooo much easier on the hands.
    You should be able to buy about anywhere that sells various kinds of needles, suggest Hancock's first, then WalMart or anywhere selling upholstery yardgoods.
    Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 AM

The needle shown in the first message is not the half circle that one buys for upholstery, this one is bent halfway at a 45 degree angle and the tip is also bent a half inch from the end. Look carefully at the video and you will see this is not the half circle needle.
    We have been looking everywhere for this and capucene's DH made some samples. Mine is going to try too as soon as I find some long darning needles.

Carol J.
    Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Found this at Wal Mart today. Less then 2$. You get 6 different needles in the pack. Will use these for my tie quilts.
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Her video needle is NOT the curved upholstery kind and is NOT found on Google, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc, etc. My belief is that the one she uses is homemade. Might be her spouse's name.
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

It certainly looks like an upholstery needle to me.
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM

I've usually seen and purchased them in packages of assorted needles for "Household" use. Joann's has all kinds available at:
    http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...Acurved+needle

As to hand needles, I always like the John James.

Hope this helps.
    Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Jo. Those needles are not the same as the one used in the video, I just looked, hoping it would be available from Joann's. Check the needle in the video, it is bent like an elbow and the tip bent out too. Quite different.

Carol J.