Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anybody do this? >
  • Does anybody do this?

• Does anybody do this?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 AM

I always use a separate binding. Have a quilt (DH grandmother made) that was hand pieced and quilted and well used, made in the 20's that used the backing for the binding. Now replacing the binding so that I can hang it in our guest room. It really shows the wear and tare but would never get rid of it.
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 AM

I have only ever used separate bindings as my quilts have fleece for backing and I'm not sure that would work out well as the binding.
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 AM

I use a separate binding and machine stitch it , first to the back and then folded to the front and machine stitch in place. I really enjoy putting binding on this way, maybe it is the sense of accomplishment, knowing the quilt is finished. If I am using polar fleece without batting, Then I often wrap the backing to the front. I am not a person who enters my quilts in shows, so I just choose whatever works best. However, as someone pointed out, QOV need separate binding.
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

I do both. If it is a utility quilt or for a baby I am more likely to roll. I like that the binding is softer and more pliable. It also depends on how the colors work together. It sure saves on fabric!
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 AM

I did the backing folded over the front as binding for a crib quilt, as I only had an hour to quilt and bind it to be able to give it to my great-granddaughter. I did it all by machine; hand stitching is not for me. It was so much faster to do do than a separate binding and turned out quite well.

Last edited by dee1245; 02-26-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 AM

I repaired a quilt that was at least 50 yrs. old for someone. It had been bound by wrapping the backing around to the front. The binding wore thin right at the fold on the edge of the quilt and eventually started tearing on that fold. So my main repair work was trimming up the edge and replacing the binding. I think the problem was the single thickness of fabric. I would suggest, if you want to wrap the backing around to the front for the binding, cut the excess backing fabric enough wider that you can fold the binding part in half and to make the part that wraps around the edge a double thickness of fabric. I think it would be less likely to wear thin in years to come. It would depend on the use of the quilt. For a wall hanging or something more decorative, single thickness would probably wear okay. I quilt that will be drug around and much loved, as this one was, would need two thicknesses of fabric to prolong the wear.
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Well said!
    Originally Posted by shelbie
    i've often used the excess backing as a self binding, machine stitching it on the front side and it works just fine! In fact unless you were a quilter, you would never know. I find by the time this type of binding is starting to wear out, the rest of the quilt is too. This is not the binding that i would use on a special or show quilt but it works really well on those "drag around kid's quilts", college bound quilts or the one on the rec room sofa that the dog loves to have a nap on. As quilters, i think we need a variety of techniques and should pick what works best for each quilt considering the end use of the quilt.
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM

I always add a separate binding on mine. Just my preference. Don't think there's a right or wrong way about it.
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 AM

The reason you use separate binding is when the edge gets wore out it can be removed and then replaced however if you use the back or front as binding you have to cut the quilt down and then replace with separate binding. That is why I always use a separate binding for the life of the quilt.
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 AM

we had quilts from the 30s and 40s that were made by grandmothers and relatives. they were mostly "birthed", with heavy wool battings. to prevent wear and tear on them, my mom's ritual was to cover the top, every year, with a length of sheeting, so dad's whiskers wouldn't wear them out. i got lots of practice with basting stitches, helping her. i'd forgotten about that... thanks for the random memory!