Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone curse when quilting? >
  • Does anyone curse when quilting?

• Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    The log cabins are one of the easiest. if you square up each round. then measure for the next fabric cuts. Dont precut your strips. They will always stretch when you sew them together. I hope I helped out. I would love to say something funny here but frustration doesnt handle humor well.
    Stewey - than you for this advice. I have never done a log cabin but was considering it & I've quilted for a long time. I know that I have not square up blocks when I was younger and started doing that several years ago now, and wow - was I surprised at the difference. Of course, when I was younger, we didn't have all these neat toys we have today and it just never occured to me. .
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Apronlady - please don't quit. Frustration at one point or the other hits all quilters, even hitting a brick wall as to how to fix or what to do next. Take a break - several days a week or two even - then tell your quilt that you are hte master - not the quilt (LOL). One thing I have found is that I have slowed my speed down on my quilts and of course, I use a 1/4 inch foot. When I slow down, I notice that my seams are even and I now pay close attention to whether I have a wonky spot in seam or when I create a wonky spot. I have found if I stop right then and take that part out and fix it that I have better luck. Sometimes my blocks still vary a little but I too cut to the smallest block. Lots of pieces in a log cabin and each piece of material sews & stretches a little differently.
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM

There's no one here but me so there's no one to hear me, so once in a while I'll say a "bad" word then apologize to God and ask Him to please help me do this!

Mostly when I'm ripping something out for the 3rd time, I just ask myself how d_ _ _ stupid can I be, or what the h_ _ _ am I doing, or maybe even the dreaded s_ _ t word, which I guess are not really all that bad considering what you can hear these days on cable TV, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to hear me. Usually at this point, I know I'm too tired to be sewing so I just give it up and hope for a better tomorrow!

I hope admin doesn't "get me" for this post!
    Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM

I make lot of unique quilts. In other words mistakes or that is the way I planned it to look. You don't want assembly line quilt you want unique.
    Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM

I'm a perfectionist by nature so when I find myself in similar situations as yours, I know I won't be happy but I can still chalk the crappy outcomes as 'learning experiences'. That mentality helps to lessen my inner tension. I currently have a large lap quilt nearly finished under the machine. I've had nothing but problems with thread, lumpy block joints and you name it. I've cursed a blue streak, walked away several times and have labeled this project a 'utility quilt'. It will get worn out in the washer and I won't care. I'm stubborn enough to finish it because ripping it out or giving up is unthinkable. :) Be kind to yourself. Most things in life aren't perfect... including sewers. :)
    Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM
    jem

i agree Shirly
    Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM

I cuss at my machine or projects all the time. My DH always asks why do you quilt if it makes you mad? I tell him that it is very relaxing. He just laughs & says that it doesn't sound like it. LOL
    Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 PM

I have passed this topic several times, not sure what that person wanted to know,but I just wondered, do you want to learn some new words?
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Dumb A$$ rings a bell here.
    Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM

I did a log cabin quilt - I was so proud of it - it looked so good - and then someone told me I had done it wrong - it hurt my feelings, but I thought - well, you do yours your way - I did mine my way and life goes on!!! and I gave the quilt as a gift, and my nephew and his new wife love it - it is the first and only quilt they have and have used it for lounging aroudn in the winter time, and on their bed, and wrapped up in it when they were sick, and just needed extra warmth; see? it does not have to be perfect, to be usable and what's better? I did not have a pattern - I looked at one already made and went by it - and then I'm told it was wrong - well, then there are at least two quilts wrong in this world!!! :D