Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone curse when quilting? >
  • Does anyone curse when quilting?

• Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm not much of a curser, but I can feel your pain. When you cut your "logs" did you cut cross-wise (selvedge to selvedge), or did you cut lengthwise? I love log cabins, but I DO try to cut my pieces lengthwise. They do not stretch out of shape as easily as when cut cross-wise.
    Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
    I'm not much of a curser, but I can feel your pain. When you cut your "logs" did you cut cross-wise (selvedge to selvedge), or did you cut lengthwise? I love log cabins, but I DO try to cut my pieces lengthwise. They do not stretch out of shape as easily as when cut cross-wise.
    That's my next quilt - thank you so much for this tip - I made one before, and although I did not have much trouble with the stretching, I did notice a little, but once quilted, it was not noticable at all - Thanks again!
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 AM
    jem

Eileen, I agree, it is relaxing to hear yourself scream (as I do often) and sweare. Better than tearing something apart. :-P
    Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Ksea
    That is so funny
    Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Thank you all for all the posts with advice, agreement, and support! I am now calmer, ate some chocolate, went to the gym, went to church and am not going to quit quilting. I tend to be perfectionistic and quilting seemed like a calming hobby; quilters are the nicest people on Earth, as we can attest to on this Board! I need to slow down sewing, press seams better, and just get some more patience.

My avatar is my first-ever quilt and is a gift to my medical-school graduating daughter next weekend. She does not know I made it, and I am so excited to see her reaction. I made hers with the strongest conviction of love. It's all in the attitude that makes things or breaks things. So, after a break, I will go back and finish that log cabin and start something new as well. I'll just keep my seam ripper close at hand. Perhaps a new sewing machine with a proper foot to measure 1/4" seams is in order too; my old Pfaff is a work horse, but she's got many miles under her belt!

Thank you again for all the advice! Quitting isn't my style, it's just time to get back on the horse and ride!
    Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 AM
    jem

Good for u!!! :P
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Take a deep breath.

Log Cabin is one of the easiest blocks to adjust.

What's the problem with your blocks - they were all supposed to be 12.5" and they turned out to be anywhere from 11.5" to 12", or were they all were larger?

So you find the smallest size and then trim ALL the blocks down to THAT size. Just make sure the middle square is centered - you can even just eyeball it.

NO ONE is going to notice the difference when you put them together. That's the beauty of the design, regardless of the layout.

It's still going to look exactly like you originally thought, except the quilt top might be a couple of inches smaller. Big deal. So you put on a wider border.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

You could also add another round on each block, a bit oversized, and then trim the blocks down.

Happens all the time.

And foul words have never, ever, ever crossed my lips.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ever.

Can you post some pictures?
    Agreed - good suggestions ... I've resized LC blocks myself lots of times!
    Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM

OMG....I thought quilting and cursing went hand-in-hand. When my kids here me quilting/cursing, they'll run, not walk, to where I'm quilting and say things like "Oh, we thought maybe the cat stepped on the pedal for the sewing machine again" or "did the dogs pull the power cord on the sewing machine again"...little do they know I'm cursing/quilting
    Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM

I do not curse when I am quilting. I see it as being a challenge and when I get to the point when things are just not working out I right, I back off for a while and take a break. Then I come back to fix the problem.

Mary
    Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jad1044
    I did a log cabin quilt - I was so proud of it - it looked so good - and then someone told me I had done it wrong - it hurt my feelings, but I thought - well, you do yours your way - I did mine my way and life goes on!!! and I gave the quilt as a gift, and my nephew and his new wife love it - it is the first and only quilt they have and have used it for lounging aroudn in the winter time, and on their bed, and wrapped up in it when they were sick, and just needed extra warmth; see? it does not have to be perfect, to be usable and what's better? I did not have a pattern - I looked at one already made and went by it - and then I'm told it was wrong - well, then there are at least two quilts wrong in this world!!! :D
    How was it " different" from a traditional log cabin? Maybe you invented a new pattern.