Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone curse when quilting? >
  • Does anyone curse when quilting?

• Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 AM

Don't feel bad it took me almost 3 years to complete my first log cabin. I had to walk away from it so many times. I finally learned that pressing and not ironing was my problem. First press the seam as sewn then open the fabric and press again. This is an up and down not sliding the iron. Makes all the difference in the world. Then if you forget and start ironing just take a deep breath and tell everyone that it was intended as an I Spy quilt. Such as I Spy a problem can you? But only say this to yourself and not out loud because noone is going to notice unless you point it out.

Originally Posted by apronlady
    I admit it...I lost it; I was alone, so no problem. I had such success on my first quilt and now #2 is a log cabin pattern. I HATE IT! Making 56 blocks with 8 different fabrics and most of them were off. It just isn't any fun and to get aggravated; I'm a comedian not a screamer/curser!

Tell me that the log cabin was too advanced or some other comforting words. I sew too fast, and perhaps this is the problem. At this rate, I'm ready to retire the quilting until it's time when I retire, cause it takes so much time and my patience is waning. It's supposed to be fun, right?
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 AM

When I used Eleanor Burns method with strips, I loved the ease of sewing without precutting each block...BUT...the blocks didn't turn out right. The logs were askew. I found out that this was caused by not precutting each log, so each length was not exact.

These log cabin rulers by Marti Michell (Nifty Notions) come in three sizes and make perfect blocks:

http://www.frommarti.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=R-LC
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 AM
    Power Poster

Awww geesh, I've laughed my way through this thread. You guys are funny!
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 AM

I did a Texas Lone Star quilt and boy did I cuss. I cussed, cried, screamed, threw it across the room several times. I still call it the quilt from H__L!
    I refuse to ever do another one, love the quilt now that it is done but that is it.

verna2197
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 AM

Ditto to MTS
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM

Ditto to MTS
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 AM

I made my first log cabin quilt from a Marti Michel pattern. I used the log cabin rulers and the ABC Log Cabin book. I followed the instructions explicitly and measured each square as I went. Maybe I was paranoid, but I really paid attention to my cutting, sewing accurately, pressing and it turned out great. I am looking forward to making another one. I don't remember cursing, but I do remember getting frustrated at times and wishing it would go faster. Really got tired of those blocks at the time. Now - ready again.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM

Oh, yes, definately. Everytime I set up to actually quilt, I swear never again and all sorts of words come out. I hate this, it's not working the tension is all wrong, the thread is all jumbly, I've got big puckers I have to take out stitches etc, etc.

Usually when I get to the point I want to pick up the sewing machine and throw it through a window and never sew again, I take a break, turn everything off, go do something else for awhile, then come back and it's not as bad. Get a nice glass of wine or something alcoholic to sort of mellow me out and usually it works. Or a nap and some chocolate...

I did do a log cabin, but I did it slightly wonky so I wouldn't worry so much about matching seams.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 AM

I seem to have a couple favorite words that just leap out once in a while. Trying to use substitutes but sometimes I get excited and forget.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:58 AM

That's alright. Tried log cabin for one of my first ones and felt like quiting too. But went to another pattern and did it. maybe do a block then do some thing else, then a block, etc.?