Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

• Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Ruth
    I 'd love to be able to pick out fabric. My husband keeps telling me that I have too much fabric already. A neighbor recently brought me 2 paper grocery sacks of mixed scraps and yard goods. My husband groaned and suggested that another neighbor would like to have some of the fabric. I had already planned to share with her, but his comment took most of the joy out of my gift.
    Wish she was my neighbor.
    Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Oooooooooooooooooo, I love piking out the fabric, the best part think. I'll come shopping with you!!!!
    Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 AM

I'm surprised to see how many don't like picking fabric. I honestly thought fabric matching was inborn. I'm not a shoe shopper so maybe it is different strokes for different folks.
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
    I had that problem too, at first. How about if you take that Storm at Sea pattern back to your LQS, pick out one fabric that you LOVE and then ask the experts in the shop to give you a few suggestions for coordinating fabrics. It's their job, they do it every day. The more you watch them do it, the more it will rub off on you.

Just remember to have fun. That's what it's all about.
    I agree. I do that all the time when it comes to something that I am not sure of. The staff at my two LQS are always willing to help you decide. Give it a go and ask some one else for their opinion.
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM

I just love shopping for material! I go with my Mom alot of the time. She will shop for an hour and have one piece of fabric. I will shop for an hour and have to narrow down my selections, because I can't afford it all! People are just different that way. You do learn to pick colors as you do it more though. When I first started 2 years ago, I had my Mom come over and match up my materials for me. Now, she asks for my help.
    Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Not so much that I hate it as it is a time consuming part of the project. I wish I had the color sense my sis has.
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

I have a hard time picking out fabric..I have found two things that are helping. find pictures of other quilts....not the patterns but how the colors go together, When picking out fabric take along a camera take a picture...how does it look...its amazing how a camera picture will really tell a different story,
    Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM

I love picking out fabric. I started when I was nine and went to the feed store with my dad. Dad wouldn't pay attention to mom so she showed me what she had and my job was to go with him and find fabrics to match. The men in the feed store would move bags around so I could have the one I wanted. I can't imagine not enjoying picking fabric.
    I can spend hours in a fabric store just touching. It is hard not to buy everything I like. Only the budget prevents.
    Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 PM
    Jim

I love picking out fabrics...I just used my gift cards for a beautiful fabric for my OBW....can't wait to start on it but, waiting til I order my Super60 next week
    Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Buying the fabric is best part for me. The only problem is that I go in the fabric shop to get fabric for 1 quilt and I come out with fabric for 5 or 6 quilts. But I will use the fabric for other quilts so it's not really a problem.I tell myself that out of all of the addictions there are,buying fabric will not kill me like some of the others. And they bring warmth and joy to other people.