Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

• Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM

I hate picking fabrics only when I am picking from my stash and I can not buy anymore or when I have the project in mind before the fabric. Sometimes I have the fabric and then what to do with it comes to mind, and in that case I may need to add a fabric or tow, but the basic colors are already selected.
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM

I had that problem too, at first. How about if you take that Storm at Sea pattern back to your LQS, pick out one fabric that you LOVE and then ask the experts in the shop to give you a few suggestions for coordinating fabrics. It's their job, they do it every day. The more you watch them do it, the more it will rub off on you.

Just remember to have fun. That's what it's all about.
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 PM

I think picking the fabric is the fun part! But I have lots of customers who don't like that part, which is why I offer kits - they like that they can start sewing right away.

Not all of us like every part of the quilting process. Find the parts you enjoy doing and don't stress over the ones you don't - hobbies are supposed to be fun!
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM

I went into my LQS yesterday. Just to pick up some thread and a button for a bow tuck. Oh my, thought I would die. The fabric in there is just gorgeous. I could spend a fortune if I had it to spend, and the room to store the fabric. Had to have DD drag me out of the store! They even had some of the prices at $5.98 a yard...!!!!!!!
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 PM

To me thats the one of the fun parts, and will admit sometimes it dosen't go well :), Brain seems to go into overload with all the prettys to be seen, have found that pick a few, combo together, can do with more than one combo at a time, then walk away, look at something else. come back and glance to see what hits you as right. do it as many times as needed, (when it gets to the point your tearing the store apart, clerk will be very helpful :) )
    But sometimes it just dosen't feel right, or is not the right day, Good Luck you'll get it worked out
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM

I just love picking out fabrics. I don't buy for projects. I buy fabric that I like. I seem to have enough that I can always find stuff that goes well with each other.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:00 PM
    Power Poster

Sometimes I can go into a quilt store and find that I'm just not in the mood to like anything I see. (Too bad that doesn't happen more often.) If you aren't in the mood to buy, don't feel bad about leaving.

When I first started quilting, picking out fabrics for a quilt was my least favorite activity. I had no confidence, and practically no stash. Now that I've had more practice (and a larger stash), it's one of my favorite parts of quilting.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
    Power Poster

I didn't enjoy it when I first started out but now that's so much fun for me.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
    JT

Not sure how long you've been quilting, but for me this was terrifying at first. I'd go into a shop and wander around and see so much that I was overwhelmed and couldn't buy anything. This has gotten better with time. Find a shop where you feel comfortable with the staff and things will fall into place. Take your pattern, ask their advice and they can increase your comfort level. Good luck!
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM

One of my very favorite things to do. I have always loved the fabric stores, started when I was very young. I could spend all day, then go again and never tire of it.