Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

• Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 AM

I live within a 60 mile radius of several quilt stores. I try to stay away from the ones that have several thousand bolts. At one store, I stopped oounting the green fabrics at 150. I think it is easier to make a selection of fabrics if there are not so many to choose from. Too many choices make me doubt what I want. I certainly want a good selection but 150 greens - way too many.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 AM
    Power Poster

I pick out one fabric I love then select dark fabrics and light fabrics to go with it. If the fabric I love is very dark then I pick light and med to go with it.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM

I am terrible at putting colors together. That's my problem in picking out fabrics.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 AM

i am like you i do not like to pick out fabric for quilts now in home decor i am real good at it
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM

I also have trouble putting colors together. The owners of the quilt shops that I frequent know that I sometimes need help and they are more than willing to assist me. I try to go to their shops when it is a slow time for them - mid-afternoon. Also, I go with plenty of time so that they can stop helping me and assist others. I find that they have such a sense of color that they can help pull fabrics even if it is not a color scheme they like.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM

I also have trouble putting colors together. The owners of the quilt shops that I frequent know that I sometimes need help and they are more than willing to assist me. I try to go to their shops when it is a slow time for them - mid-afternoon. Also, I go with plenty of time so that they can stop helping me and assist others. I find that they have such a sense of color that they can help pull fabrics even if it is not a color scheme they like.

Sorry, somehow I posted this twice.
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM
    Dkm

I'm more than with you. I HATE IT. My biggest problem is I see something in my mind and then can't bring it to life. I usually let someone at the quilt shop pick mine and sometimes come home saying "this isn't what I wanted". Sometimes though it's perfect. I always like the scrappy quilts I see on here, but to try and make one has me going crazy....put colors that don't match together???????. That's it I like matching...a friend told me I needed to get away from that match thing...I do to much of it. O well....let's hang in there, maybe some day.
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM

I am with you, I find the fabric selection to be the most frustrating and overwhelming part of the whole process of quilting. Probably overwhelming leads to the frustration. I also have left the store without anything because of this issue of mine. The kits are a Godsend for me. All the coordinating fabrics are already put together for me. Even with the level of frustration, I would rather be quilting than anything else.
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Here are a few hints I use to pick up fabrics

1; On the edge of some prints, you find little dots of the different hues they used to dye, I usually choose the colour they used the least as a contrasting fabric.
    2; Browse into a cross-stitch book,study the gradation they use to embroider a flower or a leaf. If you have the skeins of floss, bring them with you at the store
    3; Your paint store sells the collection of paint chips or pick them for free at the display rack. If you pick the third colour from the top, the third colour on another card should match.
    4. If you pick from your stash display your choices someplace you can see them often. If one does not agree, replace it. Let them sit for a couple of days,to make the right choice.

Sorry, my English is awful today, I can't find the right words or grammar or both.
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM

IT stresses me to shop for fabric too. I like to do it, but I spend too much time debating the choices and then I am so tired I just buy some. Sometimes part of it ends up in my stash and I go again. I always start going through my stash first and then add to it in the store...that way I have a starting point.