Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >
  • Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

• Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:11 AM

its tough when your choice is limited in the number of fabrics available
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM

It all looks good to me!
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM

I get overwhelmed by all the choices, so I take my older sister who tries to bosses me around so I have to choose or she will do it for me :)
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I have a very specific fabric in mind, but I can't find the fabric in existance. Sometimes I like the print, but its not in the right color. Sometimes I just have a color in mind, but then there are so many kinds of fabrics in that color that I can't choose or out of all those fabrics I can't find a single one I like.

And then there are the times where I find a lot of fabrics I love, but then think "Where am I going to use it in a quilt? Should I get it anyways. ......naaaah." It can be very frustrating! lol
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 AM

I used to work in a quilt shop. An experienced quilt shop employee should be able to ask you some questions that will help them assist you with fabric selection. I suggest you find one piece you love and then ask for help in picking out pieces to go with it.
    Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Yes..I like to look at completed quilts on line...on here or other sites and search the color sequence I'm considering. When I find something I like...I print it and try to match the color scheme at store. One thought...do you put the bolts together and then stand back, squint your eyes and look at? If a color or fabric doesn't work/to bright/not bright enough, etc., it will usually pop out from the rest of the fabric.
    Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM

I am new to quilting, just doing table runners now for x-mass but I went and bought a lot of fat quarters when they were on sale for $1.00 ( I have no stash) I have been mixing them up and letting them lay out on table and my color choice is growing on me. Also using a paper with a 4 inch cut out window to help with patterns. I am also making a lot of sample blocks off free sites ( that one day will be a quilt )that lets me see the colors together and learn a new block.

Hope this is a help.
    Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM

I found a pattern I really wanted to make -- a Pat Sloan applique pattern but I do it with Needleturn rather than fusible. I went to buy the fabric at a nice LQS and asked them to help me with the different colors. It helped me to see what I DIDN'T like that they picked and I switched it for something else. By the time I was working on a block, I switched out two of the fabric for stuff in my stash.

I have made mistakes before but you will find as you go thru this that when it isn't right, you will see it.

One person suggested using cross stitch floss to help you and that is a terrific idea!! I have a ton of floss and will use that in the future for sure.

Remember -- you are not marrying your choices -- it is like a college mixer -- if you don't like something, find something better. I used to let it drive me nuts but I don't any more and I am usually happier with the result.

Good luck and don't be too frustrated. What is interesting to me is how my taste has changed to more contemporary fabrics and patterns -- I was all about repos before!!

Pat
    Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 PM

You're not alone!

I feel the same way, but it's because I am 'color challenged'! What I do is buy kits or go into a fabric store, find a fabric that I really love and then ask for help getting coordinates. It's also helpful to have a pattern in mind...
    Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Well I love fabric but am color blind which makes it pretty tough. I buy what I like and hope. Just wish I had more money to spend on fabric.