Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina? >
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

• Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

Old 06-09-2024, 06:32 PM

I have owned several Berninas. I have had a Bernina 440, 630, 570, 215, 475, and 590. I have enjoyed all of them except for the 570 which I truly believe was a lemon, after 3 attempts to fix the issue, I traded it in for the 590. I later learned that a software problem may have been the problem with the first machine and that it may have been fixed by a software update later made. The upper end Bernina's really do have a learning curve and definitely are not machines that are unbox and then take off on any project you want. Also, I really like the Bernina machines with a 5.5 maximum stitch width for piecing way better than the ones with the 9mm stitch width maximum. I noticed I am not alone in that, and Bernina has now introduced a 5 mm machine or two into each of the levels of their Bernina line. I no longer have the 440 or 630, or 570. My 215 also as far as I can tell, is no longer made but it is a smaller machine with just a handful of stitches but is wonderful for taking to quilting retreats or just to do simple piecing on it. That one has never had a problem. Actually, the only one that I had problems with was my 570. The 590 was a bit frustrating to learn how to use as it has so many features, but I really have not had any other problems with it other than a learning curve and I definitely would take the classes offered by the dealer. It embroiders beautifully. My 475 is my favorite machine for doing piecing and it has enough of the bells and whistles that I have grown to love. Oh, I traded in my 440 for my 630 for a few more features. I traded in my 630 as I had used it for a long time it was starting to sound a bit rattlely although it was still stitching fine, for that lemony 570. The 570 was enough of a pain that I would have switched brands but I had really liked my pervious Bernina's so I took a chance on the 590 which so far has been just fine and really does stitch nice and smooth but as I said above, there is a learning curve and the machine talks back to you if it doesn't like something you are doing...true, it will not stitch until you clean up your act. The 475, my newest machine I bought because of the color (aqua) and it has a 5 mm max stitch width so that dude is my main piecing machine leaving the 215 as my portable and the 590 for embroidery and also fancy stitching. Both the 475 and 590 can use the BSR and they also take most of the same feet.

Last edited by sewingpup; 06-09-2024 at 06:40 PM.
    Old 06-09-2024, 06:47 PM
    Power Poster

I have loved my Bernina 440 QE since I bought it about 10 years ago. I have heard rumbles that some of the newer high end models are just not as good as the older models. I am sorry you got a lemon. 🍋
    Old 06-09-2024, 06:51 PM

I've had several Bernina's and I have liked all of them. The Artista 180 is still my favorite. It's my machine for heavy duty projects, bag making, anything difficult. It always seems to make those projects easy. The display screen went bad on my original purchased around 1998 and I was lucky enough to find another at an estate sale for $300. I'm now using that one most of the time and would certainly buy another if one came my way. Bernina's are not the most intuitive machines to use and IMO the guide classes are a must. I bought a 475 Kaffe Fasset edition a little over a year ago and have enjoyed it immensely. It's not as good at heavy projects as the 180, but still does the beautiful Bernina buttonholes and definitely has the nice stitches I'm used to getting from a Bernina.
    Old 06-09-2024, 08:40 PM

Hi, LadyAg77
    Fellow Bernina owner here. I have an Aurora 430 and the new Bernina 830 with all the bells and whistles.
    I grew up learning to sew on Mom's Singer 401 sewing machine, I knew that machine so well it was second nature.
    Then came marriage, kids, and working full time. I had a Sears Kenmore that didn't get a lot of use through those years. Later,
    I started quilting and got the Bernina 430. It was different from the other machines but not difficult. When I bought the Bernina 830, I was overwhelmed. I found instruction manuals online, printed them out and did the exercises. But I still approach my machine slowly and carefully. And take lots of notes. There's something that happens following the sticker shock of the purchase, a sort of dread that sinks in and a fear of a mistake that may jam up the machine. Not like those teenage days
    of making clothes with moms Singer and sailing through without a care.
    Old 06-09-2024, 09:30 PM

I bought my first Bernina, a 153 Alex Anderson version, in 2004. I really liked my Viking 930, but it didn't have a few of the quilting-specific features. Once I started quilting, I really wanted those helpful aspects for quilting. When the 570 came out, I bought one to get the thread cutter, stitch regulator, wider throat space, and some of the other cool things. But like so many, I really hate the wide foot that isn't good for piecing. I have resorted to using the 153 for the piecework and the 570 for quilting. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't buy the 570. I will never do embroidery, so I don't need that aspect of the machine. Also, I found the user's manual to be terrible. It is so hard to try to locate answers to my problems, but the 153 was quite user-friendly.

Leslie
    Old 06-10-2024, 03:29 AM

Count me on the "hate Bernina" list. My Bernina ALWAYS had an issue when it came to TENSION, threads and needles! Today it will sew, tomorrow the tension is off and ANY fabric is a problem!!
    I hated my Bernina so much, I gave it to my sister and bought myself an Elna 740. Never a problem with the tension and it always sews....no matter the thread or the needle ....it just sews purringly soft whenever I turn it on.
    Old 06-10-2024, 03:46 AM

I bought an old Aurora 430 that had a million feet with it. It had to go to the shop immediately because the computer had failed, which was over $900 to fix. Then hubby bought me a sit down Q16 because of my physical limitations. I've really enjoyed both machines, but I know the computers will fail eventually. I've fallen in love with manual (hand crank or treadle) or older electric machines and can nearly always fix an issue myself. There is no expensive maintenance - just a few drops of oil. My quilting friend bought a new Bernina, as well as a Q16 because I liked mine so well. She has had nothing but trouble, but a lot of that may be user error; she sews in a great hurry, which usually leads to trouble. However, she explained the badly over-designed bobbin system in her new Bernina domestic, and I was so glad I won't ever have to deal with that! I'm old, so I doubt I'll ever buy another electric machine of any brand, but I think I can't recommend the new Berninas to anyone. I'll recommend a non-computerized machine of any brand first.
    Old 06-10-2024, 03:50 AM

So sorry you are having trouble with your new machine. After 40 years on the same Bernina (830), I bought the Bernette because I wanted more than 20 automated stitches.
    Old 06-10-2024, 04:35 AM
    Power Poster

Sparrow Eversewn machines are made by Bernina

Not the Bernina company, one of the owners of Bernina left the company and started the Eversewn brand. I have the Eversewn 30 in the pretty blue color. It is a very nice machine for the price. It was under $400 when first available. Lots of accessories and ext table came with it. Has lots of wanted features, plus the auto thread cutter. My granddaughter has it at her house so I guess it's hers now.
    Old 06-10-2024, 05:36 AM

Bought two used Berninas. Artista 170 has been a joy, 670 did nothing but screw up. Finally gave the 670 with its embroidery module, all paperwork, USB stick, presser feet to a dealer and said 'Do with it what you want. I can't afford to keep paying a repair bill and have it break again 4-6 weeks later with normal use." I sew a lot and when it worked, the 670 was wonderful.