Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina? >
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

• Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

Old 06-15-2024, 04:02 AM

Check the Lemon Law in your state.
    Old 06-15-2024, 05:44 AM

ive never been tempted by berNeia because of the cost of the feet and small throat but i love that i have friends so happy with theirs

ive been a janome girl all my life starting with a used new home at 16. sometimes we simply go by the known. but last year when my big 13 year old jamone couldnt be repaired, because of sight issues i started researching all brands. i ended up with Husqvarna Viking EPIC 95Q. i bought a eversewn for papercing, and when my RV machine fell apart in texas last month i bought a brother innovis 500. and guess what, i like them all. so my lesson this year, and i hope to never buy another machine in my life time, is they are all wonderful

on the other hand i liked my first pontiac gran prix so well i traded it in on another 12 yeats later. beautiful car. that first year it was in the shop 12 times for a total of 118 days. now there was a lemon. it happens.
    our hates are colored by our personal experiences
    Old 06-15-2024, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

The Bernina dealer here has a sign in her shop saying No refunds on machines.
    Old 06-15-2024, 09:21 AM

The one thing I bought myself when I settled my father's estate was a new sewing machine. The reason I got a Bernina was that there is a well known shop nearby that, at the time, only sold Bernina's. That was 20 years ago, and I bought a 153QE.

Many times since, when i've gone in for a new foot, or to have the machine deep-cleaned every few years, I've seen the pretty new machines and lusted after them, lol. But every time, I realized that my machine still sews as beautifully as it did the day I brought it home and does almost all I ever wanted - so never purchased another new one.

The problem is that the machine is almost 25 lbs. Add in the pedal, a few presser feet, etc., and it becomes really heavy to carry to sewing days or retreats. At the time, I was going to a retreat that was on the 2nd floor of a commercial building - steep, long staircase. So I bought a Janome as it was lighter. It was like sewing on a toy. Traded up, 2x - and they still felt like a toy. Berninas, except for the housing, are metal, where other brands are not. Finally gave up on the Janomes and bought a used Bernina 240, a 3/4 size machine. It became my travel machine. Last year, I left it at our winter home so as not to bring it back and forth. I bought another 3/4 size machine, this time the 350, to use for retreats and sewing days here.

All 3 machines have been wonderful and reliable. I realize, however, that at 20 years old, the 153 - my "main" machine, is more and more likely to have something go wrong with the mother board or something else that is no longer repairable. I've been looking a bit and trying to decide what to do when that happens. I don't want to spend weeks or months researching, or worse, buying something quickly without weighing the choices.

I have NO desire for embroidery, nor the 9mm machines. The shop here that was once drew Bernina buyers from 2 or 3 hours away has made the decision to only sell the lower end machines. If it has a color screen, they do not sell it. They do, however, sell Juki's - and many quilt designers are using them. Kimberly Jolly, from Fat Quarter Shop, uses one, as does Donna Jordan from Jordan Fabrics. It's a strong possibility for me; the shop I've mentioned now carries them. If not that, then probably a 475 (if it's still made then), as this would allow me to keep using the collection of presser feet I've accumulated.

I do love my Berninas, and have not had any problems with them. I've said many times that I wish that, instead of spiraling higher and higher with features, that Bernina would make a machine like my 153QE. I'd buy a new one in a NY minute. That's not the direction they've gone in, though. I am amazed at the number of people who have put down a deposit on a machine with a $23,000 MSRP that almost no information is known. Now those are some serious fans!
    Old 06-15-2024, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

The new Bernina is listed for $23,000. I was at the quilt shop today that sell Bernina. The dealer was talking about the new one coming soon. If you preordered you get to be in the exclusive club and get extras accessories.
    Old 06-15-2024, 03:50 PM

I have the new 475 Bernina, that is a 5.5mm machine. It does not do embroidery. I love that machine for piecing and quilting. The BSR does not come with it but it is compatible with the BSR but the BSR by itself is spendy. Bernina has added a 5.5 mm to most of the levels of machines. I also have heard that the Bernettes are a lower cost option.
    Yes you can use a lot of Bernina feet with the 475 that came with my 440 and 630. I am not sure if the 153 uses the new style of feet or the old style. The new style are the ones with the white background and red numbers and lines. The old style are white background with black print. One new thing on the 475 is that it does come with the larger bobbin which I like, but that bobbin is harder to put in although it lasts a really long time. I do think at least some of the 300 series come with the old style bobbin.
    I just checked the 153 does use the new style feet and I think you are good to go with any of the newer berninas (not sure what the Bernettes use).

Last edited by sewingpup; 06-15-2024 at 03:59 PM. Reason: new info
    Old 06-15-2024, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    The new Bernina is listed for $23,000. I was at the quilt shop today that sell Bernina. The dealer was talking about the new one coming soon. If you preordered you get to be in the exclusive club and get extras accessories.
    Early bird folks were also given a free trip to Switzerland! I think it is going to be revealed soon, maybe on the 18th Nope, not for me. I am sticking with my 3 Berninas for now.
    Old 06-15-2024, 04:07 PM

I doubt that I will ever buy another high end machine again. I love my Singer 15-91, and my Janome MC6600P, my Viking Topaz (which I only use for embroidery). At 70 I take care of my machines and they have been work horses, Kind of of like our cars, why get rid of them when they are working at top condition. My embroidery machine was a floor model, it was working perfectly - no problems for about 5 years. Then needed some minor adjustments. I think it's very important to have a good and honest repairman.
    Old 06-16-2024, 04:10 AM

I do most of my sewing these days on one of my vintage Singers (201 or 401). I have a Bernina 1530 (purchased in 1993) that sews beautifully and I really like. The only problem I ever had with the Bernina was the light flickered. I took it to a local Bernina repair technician who told me "it's time for a new machine." But in the next breath she also said I shouldn't trade in my 1530 because people who buy the new machines come back crying that they want their old machines back. That comment surely didn't encourage me to buy a new machine.
    Old 06-16-2024, 04:44 AM

$23,000!!! I thought $2,000 was exorbitant in 1980! It was a most expensive purchase back then. But it is still my favorite machine, Record 830.