Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina? >
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

• Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

Old 06-20-2024, 02:13 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    looking at the picture they released, it looked a bit similar to my old Viking Mega-quilter in the outside design.
    With the extra-large bobbin, it sounds similar to Janome's HD9 (which had a longarm bobbin with a half-bobbin case for version 1 and now has a proprietary bobbin for version 2). Control placement, etc., looks identical to the HD9. Specs are identical to HD9.

Last edited by mkc; 06-20-2024 at 02:18 PM.
    Old 06-21-2024, 05:30 AM

I agree. I wonder how many of the Straight stitch machines now available look so similar. I did notice that the list of what comes with them varies by Brand. The Bernette comes with an extension table and two stitch plates. I really didn't do an item-by-item comparison.
    Old 06-21-2024, 06:02 AM
    mkc

HD9 comes with those as well. Juki TL models all come with the extension table, but I believe you have to order the thick stitch plate separately.
    Old 06-21-2024, 06:43 AM
    mkc

Actually, I just checked Bernette's site - while it does have the extension table, only the standard straight stitch plate and foot are included. You have to purchase the quilting kit to get those feet and stitch plate separately, and there's a separate "sewing" kit you have to purchase for those feet (zipper, hemming, etc.) The foot pedal also does not include the optional cutter foot.

Each foot kit is an additional $240+. The cutter pedal attachment is another $100+
    Old 06-21-2024, 09:42 AM

bet the extras are somewhat negotiable and vary by quilt shop. I usually ask for a discount and if they say no, I ask for an extra. I got a Kaffe umbrella as an extra with my Kaffe 475.

As this straight stitch machine seems to basically the same across several brands except for the covers and the accessories that come with it. It would be fun to do some comparison in person shopping stitching on each one. Maybe even using the price and the extras as a bargaining point? One site mentioned it came with a DC motor. I really don't know why that would be important.

Last edited by sewingpup; 06-21-2024 at 09:50 AM.
    Old 06-21-2024, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

I test sewed on all straight stitch machine except this new brand. I chose the Juki TL 2010. Comes with table, walking foot, free motion foot, 1/4 foot, and a few more for under $1000. The auto cutter is in the foot pedal but I bought the foot cutter stopper. I prefer to push the button. I buy all the high shank feet for it from Wawak. . Can't tell any difference in weight or function of the branded Juki feet. I found out that Brother 1500 and Baby Lock Accomplish and Juki can use most of the same accessories. I bought a new bobbin case for Juki and it was a Baby Lock package brand. Fit perfectly.
    Old 06-24-2024, 04:58 PM

A friend of mine bought a 770 from a Bernina dealership that was at the Daytona Quilt show a few years ago. She took the lessons and tried her best. She's an accomplished seamstress...but she threw in the towel, and traded it in for a different brand. She's much happier with her new choice.
    Old 06-25-2024, 07:29 PM

I love my Berninas, but they aren’t the newer versions. The older Berninas were either completely or almost completely mechanical. Bernina is big on calling their machines “sewing computers,” but computers go obsolete. I have an 830 Record I keep in my motorhome. I have a 440 QE that I adore at home. My first Bernina was a 1031 that my DIL still uses. All of these older Berninas have the same bobbin system - an oscillating CB hook. I think it makes the most beautiful stitches ever, but it only works up to a 5.5mm stitch width. After that and you have to go to a rotary bobbin.
    Old 06-27-2024, 06:42 PM

Bernina’s Fascinating Trajectory Over Time - The Sewing Machine Shop I found this interesting article regarding Bernina's bobbin system through the years.
    Old 06-27-2024, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    Bernina’s Fascinating Trajectory Over Time - The Sewing Machine Shop I found this interesting article regarding Bernina's bobbin system through the years.
    I just read this entire article and watched the video's on the hook systems. At the end, the author poses a challenge question regarding Bernina. I am wondering if this new 23,000 machine is the answer to that challenge. Oh! The Drama!