Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina? >
  • Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

• Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

Old 06-09-2024, 09:16 AM

Default Does anyone else hate their Bernina?

There… I’ve said it. I truly hate my Bernina 770qe sewing machine that I saved years for. Oh, how I lusted for the cute little Barbie to keep my presser feet in. I was truly over the moon when I was able to purchase mine. Although I purchased mine used, I had my local Bernina dealer check it out thorough and service it before any money changed hands.

If the machine was remotely reliable, it would be a different situation. I am SO TIRED of each sewing session turning into a marathon troubleshooting session instead. Don’t believe me? Check out Bernina Jeff on Facebook. He offers tips and workarounds on many Bernina problems. There are many he doesn’t have, too.

I know there are thousands of Bernina owners who are extremely happy with their 20 year old machines. That’s great, and I am not attacking you or your particular Bernina. I truly wish I were in the “love my Bernina” group, too.

Are there any other Bernina owners who feel this way, too? At almost 70 years old, there is simply no more money! I cannot purchase another machine. Besides the machine itself, I have too much invested in presser feet and other accessories.

Thanks for listening.

Old 06-09-2024, 09:30 AM

I don't have a Bernina but I have dreamed of getting one. The computer is what I don't want to have to deal with. If I cannot tinker with it myself, I will not get it. I know I cannot afford to visit the repairer as often as I probably will have to.

I've been hearing a lot lately about Bernina's being problem children. I'm sorry. Stick with it. Someone has probably had the same issue you did. Hopefully, Bernina Jeff will be able to offer solutions for any unique problems. I bet if you asked here in the QB, there may be other Bernina fans that can help.
    Old 06-09-2024, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

I'm so sorry for your predicament. My Bernina 440QE has been reliable from the beginning, purchased new in 2007. I hope it lasts as long as I do.
    Old 06-09-2024, 09:35 AM
    Power Poster

I have an older Bernina and truly like it. I don't want a new one though. Two of my sewing friends bought a newer Bernina and had nothing but issues. They are very fussy machines. Both traded them in for a lower model and are happy now. Ask a Bernina dealer about a trade in for a lower model with less features you probably don't use anyway. I know some dealers won't trade for a lower model but the good ones will. If that is not possible schedule a training session with your dealer to sit and watch you sew to see the problems you have. Another option is to sell the machine with all accessories and get it out of your life. That's better than to get depressed every time you look at it. there are too many good brands for a lot less money.
    Old 06-09-2024, 11:02 AM

I have a couple of friends who own Berninas. I've watched them over the years and have come to the conclusion that a lot of Bernina owners (not all of them, but a lot) are like BMW or Tesla owners - they pay for the name and bragging rights. If my sewing machine can do everything that my neighbor's Bernina can do, and costs $1000 less, why would I buy a Bernina?

Anyway. I'm sure I've offended a Bernina owner or two, but that's my opinion based on my observations and experiences.
    Old 06-09-2024, 11:58 AM
    Power Poster

It does seem like the older - mechanical - Berninas, are/were more reliable than some of the newer, computerized, models.

I would be totally bummed if I spent thousands on a machine, and it was in the repair shop more than half the time.

Actually, one of my favorite machines is a Singer 237. All it does is go forward, backwards, has three needle positions, zig-zag, and can drop the feed dogs. And it's a heavy machine. It was "portable" when I was stronger - not so much now. It is also that ugly tan and brown. But it is relatively hard to mess up.

Old 06-09-2024, 01:49 PM
    mkc

You are not alone, but mine is more an acquired distaste for the brand due to obsolescence rather than the specific machine, per se.

2000 Artista 180 purchased for over $4K (a lot in those days). 11 years later one of the circuit boards failed. No Bernina dealer could source the board as a replacement part. I could "borrow" a board while mine was sent to Bernina for repair ($1K), but no guarantees and no warranty on the repair (if they could even fix it).

My replacement machine, a Janome, cost less than half that. It's more intuitive, has a much wider throat, and the feet and accessories a much more affordable. It hasn't hiccupped once since I purchased it, and has never needed service despite getting a whole lot more use.
    Old 06-09-2024, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

My friend bought the Juki NX7 last week for $2000. She has her brand new Bernina she bought for her retirement and thankfully while still very new, it really messed up before a month was gone. Four times in shop and she got her money back, took six months though. Rarely happens and she said never again another Bernina. She raves about the NXY how easy it is to use.
    Old 06-09-2024, 02:58 PM

I loved my modern Bernina 820 when it ran, but it quickly got the nickname Cranky Bernie. I was it's 3rd owner -- the first 2 owners still believe in Bernina as a brand and are still using Berninas, but I will not. I don't have any really brand loyalty and am considering a new machine of many brands, but no Berninas. The first owner bought it at full price but took just a little too long to decide she didn't like it. The shop refused to give her even a 50% trade in on the basically new machine. My friend bought it from her at half price and found it was just too fussy and non-reliable. She gave it to me after a couple of years.

My BFF inherited her MiL's original 830 and is very happy with it. In general, those seem to be super machines but they reused the numbers and nobody seems thrilled with the computerized versions. There are many many angry web comments and reviews. Bernina came out later with admitting they made bad design decisions they were reversing and not every doing again, and that they did have some quality control issues. But, haha, joke's on you for spending 10kish for a sewing machine!

In the 7 years or so that I had Cranky Bernie it was out for repair roughly 1 full year. That doesn't include the year the shop was closed for Covid. Each repair/maintenance cost roughly $300. I replaced the top thread sensor twice. The third time it broke and pieces fell on my sewing the shop paid for it, since the paid repair lasted less than a month This last time the bobbin thread sensor went and then the top sensor went again. I can run out of bobbin thread just fine, but the machine seemed to be set for how long a period I could ignore it, and the top sensor shuts the machine down even if it could sew 4 stitches at a time perfectly...

There is a thing called the "sunk cost fallacy". I'm walking away, not putting another dime/another month into trying to get it fixed again because it just didn't stay fixed. I don't like the attitude or customer service I received.. But the reality is for $300 per repair, I can just go to Walmart or Joann and buy a brand new in the box Brother and be up and running again in minutes instead of weeks. For the thousand or so it cost for the repairs, I can find a number of other options. Sure, machines with plastic parts will wear out with daily hard use, but then I can just buy another one.

I have narrowed down the features I want. Right now I'm using my Sparrow 15 I bought as a portable machine, and my vintage Remington that is older than I am. I've had it for over 30 years and it's cost me somewhere less than $200 for one repair/cleaning and a couple of the rubberized bands and a replacement foot pedal.
    Old 06-09-2024, 06:19 PM

Sparrow Eversewn machines are made by Bernina