Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else have this problem besides me? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

• Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM

My husband told our friends that I collect unfinished projects. That was only cross stitch at that time! I adtually do only work on one quilting project at a time because I get too confused otherwise!
    Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM

The first large quilt I finished, was machine quilted block by block. I learned a lot in the process and am using this technique for one I am making for my grandson.
    Used an the out of print Marti Michell Weekend Log Cabin Quilts book as my guide. She has since written a new book on quilting in sections, but I don't remember the name. A plus to doing it this way is that you can use up a lot of stash including fat quarters and have a reversible quilt. In fact this one was hung backwards at a quilt show. :P I have 6 sets of blocks waiting to be finished with this method, so I too am one who starts lots before I finish :-P. Welcome to the club.

Turning Twenty
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]119387[/ATTACH]

Turning Twenty Back
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]119392[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-119382.jpe   attachment-119387.jpe  
    Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 PM

My best friend told me about this about 20yrs. ago. I did 2 tops that were my hubby's grandmother's. They hold up pretty well considering I used one of them on our bed everyday for close to 18 yrs. She read about this in an old quilt magazine she got at a yard sale. They called it utility quilting because it was used for everyday quilts and they needed to do several fast. They would save their "tiny" quilted quilts for company or special occassions. I have several yd. sale tops I'm going to quilt this way. It really only takes about half the time.
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM

I have vowed no more buying fabric until I finish what I have. Some partially pieced, some just cut out. Even have blocks from a block swap from 8 yrs. ago!!! So no more fabric buying until... Even have a whole cloth crossed-stitched top I found at a yd. sale that my mom finished cross-stitching for me that needs to be quilted. lol Four grandkids, a child that broke her back in a wreck, taking care of a mom, and losing 3 in-law siblings and one of their spouses tends to get in the way. Know what? The tops were still there. They didn't go anywhere. So enjoy what you have in your hands at the moment! The other UFO's will sit patiently until you get back to them.
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

I'm just starting this pattern. love it!
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM

I have yet to finish ONE! Actually, I'm ready to sandwich my first.... but otherwise, I only start them and collect fabric for them. When I was telling dh about my latest plans he asked me if I could please finish just one before I start collecting for another.... so I've got to get busy! lol!
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM

I usually will finish my projects because if i don't, i feel like it's been money wasted.
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM

I decided last year that I was going to finish my UFO's even if I had to pay a LA to do them, which is what I did. It felt so good to get the binding on them and finished. I also made other quilts throughout the year. I didn't get them all done and it will probably take most of this year to accomplish that. I always have several projects going at once and will always have UFO's. I just don't want to have alot of them around unfinished when we could be enjoying them so much.
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM

What's the problem?...the more the better, I say....I do the same..get bored on the same one...
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 PM

I advise sending a few projects out for machine quilting .... yes, I do it! And
    very reasonable. Also others on this board do fantastic, elaborate quilting
    for great prices.... at least try some of us.
    The "big stitch" technique where you don't have to do teeny-tiny quilt stitches
    gives very nice results on your quilt.
    Try both suggestions!